Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New Spark owner with a few questions!

ReV:-O

Join
Apr 29, 2020
Loc
UK
Hello fellow pilots, I've just joined the DJI family :)

Purchased a used Spark for £210 with the remote, after deciding between the Hubsan Zino and Xiaomi FIMI A3. Hopefully I made the right choice...

I do have a few (noob) questions which I hope someone might be able to help me with!

#1 - I'm not sure what firmware the Spark is currently running, but the owner told me not to update it as it will limit it to 120m range. Is this true? Is there a list of firmware updates and what they did? I could not find one anywhere.

#2 - The video quality on the phone looks pretty bad. I'm assuming it's operating over 2.4Ghz WiFi via the remote, and the remote is operating over 5.8GHz to the Spark? Would an OTG cable solve this issue?

#3 - I'd like to do some FPV flying with it. I already own a pair of Eachine EV800D goggles but apparently they aren't compatible with the Spark due to DJI proprietary digital technology, is this true? Would my only option be to purchase a pair of (very expensive) DJI goggles?

Thanks so much for all the help!!

Ref #2 you are probably viewing the cache video on you phone, which is pretty poor. You need to download the high quality videos from your Spark. At the end of flying I remove the micro SD card and transfer everything to my tablet/PC.

I don't have a limitation on range, except what I put in the DJI GO app.

I don't fly FPV so can't advise on that.

Reactions: djmatt
Ref #2 you are probably viewing the cache video on you phone, which is pretty poor. You need to download the high quality videos from your Spark. At the end of flying I remove the micro SD card and transfer everything to my tablet/PC.

I don't have a limitation on range, except what I put in the DJI GO app.

I don't fly FPV so can't advise on that.

Thanks for the reply. If the only way to view footage in decent quality is to download it off the Spark after flying, then this is unacceptable for me. The much cheaper Hubsan H501SS allows 5.8Ghz real-time good quality streaming. I would have thought a DJI product could do the same if not better?

Thanks for the reply. If the only way to view footage in decent quality is to download it off the Spark after flying, then this is unacceptable for me. The much cheaper Hubsan H501SS allows 5.8Ghz real-time good quality streaming. I would have thought a DJI product could do the same if not better?
You can download it over WiFi in the DJI GO app, but it is very slow.

You can switch between the DJI GO mission view and FPV view in the app, but again the video is not optimal.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland ReV:-O.

The Sparks display on your device is 720p and can get sketchy when flying via WiFi, especially in a WiFi heavy area.

Anything Bluetooth on our around you will cause problems too when flying via WiFi.

An OTG cable will help with the image if you are experiencing some lag or dropped frames and seems to eliminate any interference including BT.

I'm not sure that if you use a cable you can select which WiFi to use in the CE region.

If you open up the Go4 app while the Spark is powered up, you can find information about the firmware, batteries, etc.

You may have a modded Go4 app or an older version that works in your region.

The Spark determines where it's at on the planet via GPS. If it detects that is in a CE region, you'll get limited performance verses the other regions (FCC).

There was a GPS faker available that fooled the Spark into thinking it was in the United States and flew under FCC rules.

DJI may have caught on and fixed newer versions of the Go4 to stop this.

I don't know anything about the FPV goggles, but some of the others here may have some insight.

Well, that's my two cents worth.

Welcome to the Forum.:cool:

Reactions: djmatt
Seems there are a few methods of changing from CE to FCC - which would you recommend?

Method 1: Use Floater app to broadcast a fake GPS location, making the DJI GO app think I'm in the USA.

Method 2: Use the DJI GO 4 MOD 2.0 app

Method 3: Use Super Patcher 2.0

Any suggestions?

The GPS faker may work and keep the stock Go4 app.

I don't have the DJI mod app installed primarily because I fly with a mini4 and it's not available for Apple.

Those that do have the Mod app installed seem to like it because it gives the Spark some extras that usually are reserved for other DJI drones.

I haven't been following the Super Patch conversations but I assume it has the same benefits of the Mod app. Maybe with maps?

Hi Patrick here, do you no about battery life not good lucky I get 12 minutes ,,
Hello fellow pilots, I've just joined the DJI family :)

Purchased a used Spark for £210 with the remote, after deciding between the Hubsan Zino and Xiaomi FIMI A3. Hopefully I made the right choice...

I do have a few (noob) questions which I hope someone might be able to help me with!

#1 - I'm not sure what firmware the Spark is currently running, but the owner told me not to update it as it will limit it to 120m range. Is this true? Is there a list of firmware updates and what they did? I could not find one anywhere.

#2 - The video quality on the phone looks pretty bad. I'm assuming it's operating over 2.4Ghz WiFi via the remote, and the remote is operating over 5.8GHz to the Spark? Would an OTG cable solve this issue?

#3 - I'd like to do some FPV flying with it. I already own a pair of Eachine EV800D goggles but apparently they aren't compatible with the Spark due to DJI proprietary digital technology, is this true? Would my only option be to purchase a pair of (very expensive) DJI goggles?

Thanks so much for all the help!!

Hi Patrick here, do you no about battery life not good lucky I get 12 minutes ,,

Did you not bother checking the specs before plunking down all that money for a drone?

I get 12 to 14 minutes before getting nervous about the battery level. It has proven adequate for hundreds of flights over several years.

I previously flew a Phantom 3 advanced with twice the flight time, but prefer the Spark due to its size and portability.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manzoorsp67