Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New Spark Pilot

mldenison

Join
Aug 9, 2018
Well, maybe.

I've unshelved my never-been-flown Spark.

Never having flown a drone, I'm not sure how to set it up. I have the documentation form DLI's website, but it's not clear to me on the steps needed to set it up for flying.

I have the controller and the hub which charges the Spark and 2 additional batteries. The batteries are now fully charged with no problems.

Do I have to update the battery firmware? If so, how do I do it?

And, do I have to update the Spark firmware? If so, how do I do it?

How do I check to see if the Spark and the controller are linked? If not, how do I link them?

It looks like I can use the DJI Go 4 app on my tablet. Is it best to use a WiFi connection or use a data cable (which I have)?

Lastly, is there some documentation on the web describing how to only hover and land until I get used to the joy sticks then returning to home?

As you can tell, I'm a little apprehensive setting it up and taking off for the first time.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Mort

Well, maybe.

I've unshelved my never-been-flown Spark.

Never having flown a drone, I'm not sure how to set it up. I have the documentation form DLI's website, but it's not clear to me on the steps needed to set it up for flying.

I have the controller and the hub which charges the Spark and 2 additional batteries. The batteries are now fully charged with no problems.

Do I have to update the battery firmware? If so, how do I do it?

And, do I have to update the Spark firmware? If so, how do I do it?

How do I check to see if the Spark and the controller are linked? If not, how do I link them?

It looks like I can use the DJI Go 4 app on my tablet. Is it best to use a WiFi connection or use a data cable (which I have)?

Lastly, is there some documentation on the web describing how to only hover and land until I get used to the joy sticks then returning to home?

As you can tell, I'm a little apprehensive setting it up and taking off for the first time.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Mort

Don't worry too much Mort, the little blighter practically flies itself.

All those things you asked about will have youtube tutorials, much easier to watch them than have to try and type all the little steps.

A few examples . . .

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=DJI+spark+update+firmware

(Searched > DJI Spark update firmware)

(Searched > DJI Spark update battery firmware)

If the package came together, the drone and controller should already be binded (linked), if not . . .

(Searched > DJI Spark drone connect)

I use the cable, always have, just think why use wifi if you can have a hard connection.

"how to only hover and land until I get used to the joy sticks then returning to home"
Put it in beginner mode to start with, it limits speed, distance, and altitude, usually new pilots won't be on that for very long.

If you want to just take it up, down, turn either way, only use the left stick.
Then, alternate to using the right only for forward, back, and roll (side movement left and right).

Also chck out some first flight tutorials, they are excellent . . . generally just go somewhere big and open, flat, no obstacles (trees, poles, etc), grassed oval or section of a park out of the way is ideal.

Some tutorials on that first flight . . . there's also some pre flight set up type tutorials too . . .

(Searched > DJI Spark first flight)

Enjoy, it's a very hardy little drone, a lot of fun to fly, takes awesome photos, and video is also great for 1080.

Reactions: Spark 317 and JDone
Thanks very much for those links!

It looks like Sunday the weather will get warm and I'll have a chance to watch the videos.

Appreciate it,
Mort

Reactions: SPark_South_Oz
Don't worry too much Mort, the little blighter practically flies itself.

All those things you asked about will have youtube tutorials, much easier to watch them than have to try and type all the little steps.

A few examples . . .

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=DJI+spark+update+firmware

(Searched > DJI Spark update firmware)

(Searched > DJI Spark update battery firmware)

If the package came together, the drone and controller should already be binded (linked), if not . . .

(Searched > DJI Spark drone connect)

I use the cable, always have, just think why use wifi if you can have a hard connection.

"how to only hover and land until I get used to the joy sticks then returning to home"
Put it in beginner mode to start with, it limits speed, distance, and altitude, usually new pilots won't be on that for very long.

If you want to just take it up, down, turn either way, only use the left stick.
Then, alternate to using the right only for forward, back, and roll (side movement left and right).

Also chck out some first flight tutorials, they are excellent . . . generally just go somewhere big and open, flat, no obstacles (trees, poles, etc), grassed oval or section of a park out of the way is ideal.

Some tutorials on that first flight . . . there's also some pre flight set up type tutorials too . . .

(Searched > DJI Spark first flight)

Enjoy, it's a very hardy little drone, a lot of fun to fly, takes awesome photos, and video is also great for 1080.
Id like to add just one thing, your test flight should be in a field or open area with no buildings, trees etc to interfere and possibly damage the Spark.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme