Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New Zealand Flying Advice

Adrianvert

Join
Feb 13, 2018
Does anyone understand the rules of flying your drone in southern New Zealand fully? Specifically areas surrounding Queenstown.

I more mean the QLDC district outside of those areas. The QLDC website is confusing and seems like there is a blanket ban.

I more mean the QLDC district outside of those areas. The QLDC website is confusing and seems like there is a blanket ban.

The ban described under QLDC here - Property Owner Consent Information | airshare NZ hub for drones and UAVs - applies only to the QLDC's own parks/reserves. For other land, it depends upon the owner/manager of the particular land that you want to fly over. There is a lot of DOC (Department of Conservation) land shown on this map - DOC Public Conservation Areas ; for those areas, you're supposed to ask the DOC for permission.

What particular area(s) are you interested in flying at?

Well I was at the lakes near wanaka earlier this week and wasn't sure who the land was under in different areas. I think DOC areas are always signposted?

Well I was at the lakes near wanaka earlier this week and wasn't sure who the land was under in different areas. I think DOC areas are always signposted?
Yes, DOC areas are almost always signposted (with their standard green-signs-with-gold-lettering), though few areas have explicitly posted 'no drones' signs. However, according to the DOC map that I linked to above, most of the shoreline of Lake Wanaka (including the area around 'that famous tree' is non-DOC land). Some of it might be QLDC reserves, but (IMHO) flying out over Lake Wanaka from the shoreline should be OK in most places.

Yeah it's frustrating how many places would be reasonably fine to many people and you try to stick to rules of the country your visiting but they make it difficult. The southern lakes district has much better rulings and I can fly safely and know I'm not breaking any rules there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schmidtrobert