Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Photos but no videos - Fixed!

EGRSparky

Join
Jan 1, 2019
I am flying with a controller using an iPhone 6 and OTG cable. I can see the live video feed. When I record video, it shows on the screen as recording but the video does not show up in the editor. I am, however, able to take and save photos. When my son uses an iPhone 8 and the same cable he is able to save both videos and photos. Any suggestions on settings or other solutions?

First of all, please be aware that the photos or videos you see on the phone or on the editor are nothing but cache recordings of the live feed and are of much lower quality. The 'real' or HQ videos/photos are stored in the SD card mounted on the Spark. You should remove it and copy the data on your computer or phone using a card reader. Now coming back to the editor on your phone not able to detect the videos, it may be a case of restricted app permission on your device. I am not very familiar with iOS but I think you may have inadvertently denied the permission to access photos/videos at the time of installing the app.

Be sure that you stop video recording BEFORE you
switch-off the drone.
If not, the files are not visible/accessible.

Thanks guys. My son does not have to remove the SD card to see videos so I am guessing that is not the issue. I checked permissions in the app and they are minimal... certainly nothing that is preventing video from showing up. I had read in another forum to be sure and stop recording before turning power off but good suggestion! Any reason why I shouldn’t try uninstalling and reinstalling the DJI GO 4 app?

Figured it out, in case anyone else has the same problem. On the main “ready to fly” screen, select the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner. That brings up a “general settings “ box. Select the 3 dots on the lower left hand side. Scroll down to “cache during video shooting“ and turn on. Fixed!

Last edited:
Figured it out, in case anyone else has the same problem. On the main “ready to fly” screen, select the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner. That brings up a “general settings “ box. Select the 3 dots on the lower left hand side. Scroll down to “cache during video shooting“ and turn on. Fixed!

You should have TWO copies of all your footage.

1. The cached version is low quality 720 and stored on the phone.

2. The good stuff is only on the card (1080 HD)

You want the quality footage on the card to get the most from your Spark.

Makes sense... but the cached version lets me know that it exists. I download the HQ version of videos and photos to my phone using the editor when the drone, controller and DJI GO 4 app are all on, no need to remove the card. Without the cache turned on, I don’t see it in the editor so I don’t know it exists. Is everyone else pulling their card to download the HQ files? I guess if I shot a lot of long videos it might be a lot quicker that way but I don’t have easy access to a card reader.

Makes sense... but the cached version lets me know that it exists. I download the HQ version of videos and photos to my phone using the editor when the drone, controller and DJI GO 4 app are all on, no need to remove the card. Without the cache turned on, I don’t see it in the editor so I don’t know it exists. Is everyone else pulling their card to download the HQ files? I guess if I shot a lot of long videos it might be a lot quicker that way but I don’t have easy access to a card reader.

You don't need access to a stand alone SD card reader because the Spark has one built in. If you leave the card in the Spark and connect it to your computer with the micro USB cable -- it will download image files just like any other camera.

The cable method is much faster and more reliable than wifi. A real time saver with video files or multiple photos.

Reactions: nilanjan118

Yes, that's right. It is possible to download the HQ videos from the SD card wirelessly through the Go4 app but it takes a lot of time. I usually fly 3~5 batteries in a single location with total data amounting to about 5 GB. The card reader gets that much copied in less than 2mins. Didn't you get a card reader adapter with your SD card?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef