Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Picking flying locations

RaWine

Join
Oct 25, 2017
As a new flier, I've not had much experience going outside the location I've mostly been practicing in.

I'm wondering how much discretion people are using? A couple questions.

1. No fly zone -- Does that mean no flying of any height, even 20 ft up?

2. If so, does that mean, light unregistered drone like you can buy in the $50 range is allowed to fly where the spark isn't even if you fly no higher with your spark?

3. Can you fly from public sidewalks as long as it's otherwise permitted as long as you don't fly over roads,

4. Are there places where you can legally fly, but you've had problems for other reasons?

5. Any other suggestions for picking locations? Or avoiding locations.

6. I know better than to fly over an airport, but what about flying over a prohibited State park when you start your drone outside the boundries of the park

Thanks!

Last edited:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Typically, yes unless it's a "No Fly Zone" as described above. But check for local regulations. And privacy regulations still apply. And typically, "flying over roads" is not prohibited.
4. Not me personally. I've never had any problems.
5. I like to stay away from places where there are a lot of people. I try to choose remote areas. Stay away from sensitive locations like prisons and power plants.
6. Technically, "legal" but I wouldn't do it. There are lots of other places to fly.

+1

This assumes you are talking the US.

#4 - I've had a couple people come up to me and start questioning me about the legality of me flying my drones. From whether my drone was "registered", to should I or can I fly over people's homes and property, etc. Be aware you may run into people who "think" they know the law or just freak out over privacy stuff. So be ready to handle those situations in a polite manner...

#5 - Try to pick less densely populated areas. Also areas where there isn't alot of environmental interference. Stay away from crowds or areas that may seem questionable with regards to over-flying...

#6 - Be careful even if you launch outside an area that doesn't allow drones. There is a youtube video of a guy who launched outside of a Wildlife Preserve and flew into it and captured video of wildlife. I can't remember the details, but I seem to remember he was close enough the Antelope or Deer he was videoing looked up at it. I can't recall if it spooked them or not... In any event, the Park Rangers saw his video, tracked him down, and handed him an expensive ticket for disturbing the wildlife (which is against the Preserve's rules).

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Typically, yes unless it's a "No Fly Zone" as described above. But check for local regulations. And privacy regulations still apply. And typically, "flying over roads" is not prohibited.
4. Not me personally. I've never had any problems.
5. I like to stay away from places where there are a lot of people. I try to choose remote areas. Stay away from sensitive locations like prisons and power plants.
6. Technically, "legal" but I wouldn't do it. There are lots of other places to fly.

+1
#4 - I've had a couple people come up to me and start questioning me about the legality of me flying my drones. From whether my drone was "registered", to should I or can I fly over people's homes and property, etc. Be aware you may run into people who "think" they know the law or just freak out over privacy stuff. So be ready to handle those situations in a polite manner...

Maybe I should pack a copy of flying regs?

Thanks for the answers from both.

Mostly, I just want to fly areas where I think I can get interesting shots or videos, and keep the disturbance of anyone down to a minimum. So, I am thinking low profile is best. Also, figure creating any unnecessary incidents is a good way to have even more restrictions which no one wants I assume.

I even considered looking up camouflage detailing, just to keep the Spark unnoticed as much as possible. If DJI introduces any noise reduction features I'll look into adopting those.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme