Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Polarizing Filter

skipper20

Join
Dec 28, 2018
Is a polarizing filter available for the Spark's camera? If so, what are the chief advantages? And, like a polarizing filter for a still camera, do you have to be at right angles to the sun to get the best effect?

Is a polarizing filter available for the Spark's camera? If so, what are the chief advantages? And, like a polarizing filter for a still camera, do you have to be at right angles to the sun to get the best effect?
I bought this set from eBay cost me £30 for the set apart from the usual ND filters there is a polariser lens. These are great for my Spark just slide them on to the lens.

They work well in different weather. You can spend a lot of money on these the ones shown are ideal for what I need them for. Regards Irvine (Portsmouth UK)1551368767534.jpeg1551369035414.jpeg

Reactions: Surfnut

I have the PolarPro Cinema Series 6 pack and they work nice with the Spark with no gimbal overload messages.

It does come with 3 polarized lenses that have a rotating bezel for optimal use but how do you change it during the flight, you don't.

If you set it before the flight on ground level, the angle may be different when in flight looking down and not what is expected.

I'm going to experiment with them when the weather gets better.

The other three I use and usually keep the ND8 on the Spark. The gimbal protector I have when transporting the Spark fits over it with no problems.

PolarPro also has a standard set with fixed polarized lenses that are a little cheaper in price, not quality.

PolarPro also has an app available to help choose which filter might be best to use.

Reactions: Surfnut
The polarizer lens is problematic to use because the angle of the Spark will usually not be correct. The idea for the other lenses is that you want to try and shoot video at 30 FPS. In bright light this may not be possible. The Polar Pro set contains the PL (polarizer), ND8 (reduces f by 3 stops), ND16 (reduces f by 4 stops).

The polarizer lens is problematic to use because the angle of the Spark will usually not be correct. The idea for the other lenses is that you want to try and shoot video at 30 FPS. In bright light this may not be possible. The Polar Pro set contains the PL (polarizer), ND8 (reduces f by 3 stops), ND16 (reduces f by 4 stops).
The PP filters are available through ND64... you can image the sun. The PolarPro polarizing filters are oriented for maximum light transmission. It is of note that the polarizing version of any filter is primarily used for minimizing surface reflection from water allowing you to see into the water.

Last edited:
Reactions: McCloudSpark
Hi David depends on the wether but I use a NP 16 for a sunny day but it can vary try that OK

Hi David depends on the wether but I use a NP 16 for a sunny day but it can vary try that OK
Thanks. Basically trying to figure out if I should buy the 3 or 6 pack of these lens. I’ll start there. Racing won’t start until May so I have some time to try them out. Thanks. Great pic of the beach and moored boats.

Hi again owning a mavic platinum as well as the spark using the different NP filters are ideal for great videos.

Not keen on sporty drones although my mavic can do 40mph in sports mode. Also David there are so many types of filters ranging from £20 to £100 my £30 lot does just as well.

Good luck my friend.
Thanks. Basically trying to figure out if I should buy the 3 or 6 pack of these lens. I’ll start there. Racing won’t start until May so I have some time to try them out. Thanks. Great pic of the beach and moored boats.

I use a fixed Polar Pro Polarizer on all the time, I find it works just as well as a ND filter, it reduces light so my videos are pretty close to the cinematic look too ! I mostly fly over coastline beaches & water so it works wonderfully !

View attachment 9048

Great picture. Bit late to this discussion, but can you tell me if there's any issues using that fixed Polar Pro Polarizer when shooting panorama's?

I live by the coast here in the UK and had a lot of issues with glare on my images last weekend due to bright sunshine and clear blue skies, but I do shoot a lot of panorama's and every time I read a post about Polar Pro filters there's conflicting reports as to whether pano's are possible.

Thanks in advance ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh