Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Recommended anemometer?

rcdancer

Join
Nov 3, 2018
Loc
SE United States
Yesterday out on the lake was quite windy with strong gusts. So strong that the Spark had a little difficulty maintaining a stationary hover. I had way of knowing for sure, but estimate the wind was around 10 mph gusting close to 20, maybe more (I believe max wind for the Spark is listed as 22mph). I was impressed with Sparky's ability to handle the wind (when we first got out on the lake, even my Visual Observer asked if it wasn't too windy to fly.) There's an impressive video here on the Spark's ability to handle wind.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good small anemometer to take with me? While there are several on Amazon, I like to hear from someone with personal experience. I'm leaning towards this one that is recommended over on the MavicPilot forum by someone who flies in the Rockies:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...page_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=mavicpilots-20

Last edited:
The problem with an anemometer is that you are only measuring wind speed on the ground. This often correlates poorly with windspeed at 50-400 feet altitude. It is often marginally breezy on the ground but over 30 knots aloft.

Plenty reports of Sparks that didn't make it home because battery died quick fighting winds on return leg. I think anemometer on the ground is actually misleading and I don't see them used much.

The UAV Forecast app let's you select a altitude to check wind speed. It also gives a wind profile. Been very reliable for me and very popular choice on this forum.

The problem with an anemometer is that you are only measuring wind speed on the ground. This often correlates poorly with windspeed at 50-400 feet altitude. It is often marginally breezy on the ground but over 30 knots aloft.

Plenty reports of Sparks that didn't make it home because battery died quick fighting winds on return leg. I think anemometer on the ground is actually misleading and I don't see them used much.

The UAV Forecast app let's you select a altitude to check wind speed. It also gives a wind profile. Been very reliable for me and very popular choice on this forum.

Problem was that there was little wind at home and no need to check there. On the lake though, I had no carrier signal and could not check UAV forecast. Some measurement on the ground would have been useful, knowing it would certainly be stronger aloft.

In strong wind, I always try to ensure I'm flying into it outbound.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andre Levite
With UAV Forecast app you can check the future wind forecast at the lake before you leave home. Just enter the location's name or GPS coordinates in the app address bar when you are home with a signal. You can check next 24 hours wind speed at any altitude you desire.

It's prevented me from taking several wasted trips. Very accurate!

Reactions: graywoulf
considering the spark has a gps, it should be able to guess at the wind speed? It knows the tilt of the aircraft and how much it's having to work to maintain position. It won't be terribly accurate, but should be able to guess? I know I've gotten "high wind warnings" on my display on occasion, clearly it knows something is up.

Hello.

I am also interested in an anemometer.
Are there any differences between the cheap devices from China?
A specific recommendation?
Is the size of the fan important? For the accuracy?
Many have small fans, some big fans.
Some have fans on a rod.
Some have fans on a cable.
Some have BlueTooth. Examples: "UT363BT" (small fan) for ~ $ 16 or "BT-866B" (big fan) for ~ $ 21).

Thanks.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast