Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Rising above the fog

Ahh man, I was going to fly this morning but decided not to.. Should have! Nice view!

I was a little concerned about the bird getting wet but it didn't come back wet at all.
Sensors were confused though. Altitude blanked out a few times and it went into 'auto land' mode once.
I guess the IR sensors get false readings from the fog.

I guess the IR sensors get false readings from the fog.

One classic failure mode is it'll think the fog is land and try to maintain its altitude over "land". So you get your drone in fog and it basically shoots up into space...

So you get your drone in fog and it basically shoots up into space...

Actually, it did the opposite. When I saw the warning pop up saying "Auto landing" the altitude read zero. It thought it was at ground level and was going to land. I bumped the left stick forward a second, then altitude changed to 145 feet and "Auto landing" cancelled. From there down everything was ok.

It thought it was at ground level and was going to land.

I remember reading a thread here once of a Spark doing just that.

It "landed", shut the motors off, and dropped out of the sky.

One classic failure mode is it'll think the fog is land and try to maintain its altitude over "land". So you get your drone in fog and it basically shoots up into space...

BIG DITTO!! This happened to me and I was very lucky to get my drone down safely. In my case the fog started at about 125 feet or so. I was flying at 9 feet and about 120 away...told it to RTH with about 50% battery left. It rose to RTH height of 30 meters and then just kept going up all the way to 400 feet. I switched to manual and it wouldn't come down, even with full down stick. It hung up there bouncing between 390 and 400 feet until the battery went red and it began a programmed landing. By the time it got down it was critical on battery.....flight log said 2% remaining. At least it didn't crash.

Pictures are beautiful.... but risky. No more fog for me.

Reactions: rich777 and Eljay
before I make a mistake someone has made before... better ask:

has anyone tried to cover one/both IR sensors in order to disable the "land-on-cloud feature" had my spark drop like a stone from 100m after clearing a fog bank and trying to get back down.

Now wondering if there is a way to deliberately disable/block the IR sensors to fly safer in foggy conditions. Would not want to disable them permanently as I think they offer great data and preciseness in 95% of all the other situations

Might as well cover the bottom camera too as they work together.

Slap a piece of tape on it and go for a test flight. Tie a string to the Spark first just in case.;)

I mounted a strobe too close to the camera and that was a 50 second terror flight for me as the Spark couldn't see the surface because of the flashes.

I don't think it can see in the fog ether.

Reactions: beiter

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers