Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Max Distance

Xygote

Join
Jul 30, 2018
Hello Guys,

I started using a drone in 2009 (Parrot Drone) without home return it ended up in the sea going to England (From the French coast).

So I decided to invest in the spark a few months ago.

After reading on many forums, I found out i needed a FAA registration, so I did it (when i'm flying in the US).

Then I tried to understand where i was able to fly (I know about the NFZ 5 miles radius from an airport , city etc).

I was in Miami last week and I wanted like everybody does , to fly the drone (30 feet high max) over the water.

But a guy told me it was a NFZ again... I then asked the Miami Beach Police, they told me it was indeed a NFZ, but I could still use it until a cop tells me to take it down... So in the end i didnt fly it..

Ok so now back to my original question, in the USA or France, I'm using the Remote , an Ipad, the OTG cable and I realized that the video signal breaks up super fast. After max of 100 meters distance and not altitude (300 feets) i lose the video and the drone asks me to come home...

In some cases i was in front of the ocean in France with nothing in front, how can it be THAT bad?

Is there something i'm doing wrong?

Since I'm pretty disapointed on the max distance, i was wondering if I should go for the Mavic Pro platinum.

I was wondering what was the real difference between those 2, and just like the guy who chases cruse ships in Miami, if i could go far away (where it's legal) without losing the video signal...

Thanks for your help.

The Mavic Pro will allow you to go MUCH further away from the Remote Controller before you experience any signal loss. Where the Spark uses WiFi to communicate with the drone, the Mavic uses OcuSync, which is far superior to WiFi. Note: the Mavic Air does NOT use OcuSync does not have the range of either the Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum.

Reactions: Xygote
The Mavic Pro will allow you to go MUCH further away from the Remote Controller before you experience any signal loss. Where the Spark uses WiFi to communicate with the drone, the Mavic uses OcuSync, which is far superior to WiFi. Note: the Mavic Air does NOT use OcuSync does not have the range of either the Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum.

Thank you , yeah i just saw a video about it, ok so USA 5 GHZ and Europe 2,4 Ghz.

I guess i'll drop the Spark for the Pro Platinum now that i'm more confident when i fly it.

Thanks for the answer

Both the Spark and the Mavic Pro detect your location by GPS and boost (or throttle) the RC power transmission according to the limits of that country. This greatly affects flight distance. FCC Mode in USA allows much stronger signal and this longer distances compared to CE Mode (Europe). Sounds like your Spark is stuck in CE Mode.

You can Google "DJI Mavic Pro specs" to see the maximum theoretical values for each region.

Btw, within 5 miles of an airport in the USA is not necessarily a NFZ. You can still fly inside that range as long as you notify the control tower.

Thank you , yeah i just saw a video about it, ok so USA 5 GHZ and Europe 2,4 Ghz.

I guess i'll drop the Spark for the Pro Platinum now that i'm more confident when i fly it.

Thanks for the answer
100m distance is abnormal, even for CE especially in remote area. Check if you don't have some Bluetooth device around or on you, turn them off or keep them away. Try to use 2.4G, better range when on remote area. In urban area, it can be the opposite as 5.8G is less used.

I have the spark in the US and can pretty regularly get 14K feet away if wind is favorable - gone as far as 15.1K ft one time 5.5 miles round trip. Use stock Spark and battery, OTG cable, and inexpensive parabolic dish range extender over the antenna's. Yes Mavic 2 Pro will get more range and probably better picture on your phone or tablet during the flight, but 2.5 to 2.9 miles out is pretty good range and less than half the price.

I have the spark in the US and can pretty regularly get 14K feet away if wind is favorable - gone as far as 15.1K ft one time 5.5 miles round trip. Use stock Spark and battery, OTG cable, and inexpensive parabolic dish range extender over the antenna's. Yes Mavic 2 Pro will get more range and probably better picture on your phone or tablet during the flight, but 2.5 to 2.9 miles out is pretty good range and less than half the price.
Where in the USA are you getting those ranges. Best I ever got with my spark is under a mile? Usually under 1000 feet and I lose signal.

Nice distances BTW!

Where in the USA are you getting those ranges. Best I ever got with my spark is under a mile? Usually under 1000 feet and I lose signal.

Nice distances BTW!
Southern NJ - typically along waterways (Delaware River and adjacent lakes) or following large creeks (Rancocas Creek) - anywhere there aren't obstacles blocking the signal. I have a few video's on YouTube (unlisted), with the screen recording so you see the telematics.

Reactions: Thealien
Just a thought about bodies of water. It increases the antenna base plane ( I think that's what it called ) when I used CB's that's before cell phone my radio would reach out 20 or 30 miles out when over water. Normally I could only get a few miles at best on land.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis