Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark with Ipad Air 2

Stormboy

Join
Mar 18, 2019
I want to get the Spark and use my Ipad Mini Air 2, model A 1566. Will I be able to attach to the controller via OTG cable? Will the controller utilize the ipad as a larger viewing screen. This model Ipad does not have cellular but if I am correct if I open the Go 4 app while connected to wifi at home, can I then utilize that app while out flying? Thank you

This model Ipad does not have cellular but if I am correct if I open the Go 4 app while connected to wifi at home, can I then utilize that app while out flying?
The app doesn't need to be connected to Wi-Fi (the Internet) when using it. However, if you want to be able to see the maps while out flying, you'll either need to be connected to the Internet while flying or cache the maps (like this) before you head out to fly.

Short answer is yes. But you cannot cache maps with iOS as far as I know. Msinger's link is for Android devices. the iPad will give you the nice larger screen than a mobile phone however. If you are planning to fly out of line of sight, the maps are nice to have, but not essential as you will still have first person view.

Thanks to both of you, very much appreciated. One other question, is DJI coming out with a Spark "2" this May? Should I wait til then to purchase?

Thanks to both of you, very much appreciated. One other question, is DJI coming out with a Spark "2" this May? Should I wait til then to purchase?
Thats a question that keeps coming up... most suspect the answer is no, as the Mavic Air is basically going to be the next step up anyway... however I could be wrong (my wife says I am all the time ;) )

I want to get the Spark and use my Ipad Mini Air 2, model A 1566. Will I be able to attach to the controller via OTG cable? Will the controller utilize the ipad as a larger viewing screen. This model Ipad does not have cellular but if I am correct if I open the Go 4 app while connected to wifi at home, can I then utilize that app while out flying? Thank you

Another option to have live maps on a wifi only iPad is to tether it to your iPhone using the phone as a wifi hotspot. Not all cell carriers and all plans allow this feature but it's a good solution when available.

Short answer is yes. But you cannot cache maps with iOS as far as I know. Msinger's link is for Android devices. the iPad will give you the nice larger screen than a mobile phone however. If you are planning to fly out of line of sight, the maps are nice to have, but not essential as you will still have first person view.
I view cached maps using my ipad mini4.

Reactions: Andre Levite
Since I have never cached anything in my life, lol, this sounds really cool. Does the cached map just sit in the corner of your screen as a reference? Does the spark location show up on the map?

Since I have never cached anything in my life, lol, this sounds really cool. Does the cached map just sit in the corner of your screen as a reference? Does the spark location show up on the map?
Yep - unless you tap on it, then is goes to full screen.
Yep - and on my mini4 (with GPS) I show up on the map too. Handy for "find my drone" function.

But you cannot cache maps with iOS as far as I know. Msinger's link is for Android devices.
Maps can be cached on both Apple and Android devices. My link covers both types of devices.

Reactions: Spark 317

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit