Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Tower of the Americas - September 19, 2018

It was one of those "I'm here but 30mph...great. But I rarely get a chance to be here" type thing.

Story of my life. I am pained by our rules, I want to be "responsible" so an adventure like this one would probably be off-limits... but I have seen many locations in my travels where I am tempted. Fall is starting to turn the trees some great colors up here, so soon I will venture off my property and get busy. Wind is always a concern... I know my own ground pretty well, there's some comfort in risking windy flights at home, but beyond that... I am admittedly somewhat chicken!

Reminded me of our CN Tower.... Home - CN Tower except its double the height of your Tower of the Americas...

* I did fly around it in a Cessna one day... will have to share that video...

Reactions: pmshop
Funny thing is I have become very aware as to where the Spark is at.
When I went half way around the tower then came back, I had my eyes on the altimeter and distance only because I had no real frame of reference as to what I was looking at representing its relative position to me.
Once I got the distance back around to me at about 7ft, I brought it down to about 30ft.
There, I finally looked up and saw it 7ft to the left of me and brought it in.
Never looked up but maybe once to observe a helecopter going the oppisite direction of the Spark.

Reminded me of our CN Tower....

I was in Toronto once and toured the tower, as tourist will do, and stood on the glass floor looking down.
Nice view of the city and the stadium next door. I think the Blue Jays were playing that day.

I didn't have the nerve to walk around the OUTSIDE of the structure with rigging and lean face up and down over the edge of the walkway.

Gravity and I don't get along. LOL.

Reactions: pmshop
I was in Toronto once and toured the tower, as tourist will do, and stood on the glass floor looking down.
Nice view of the city and the stadium next door. I think the Blue Jays were playing that day.

I didn't have the nerve to walk around the OUTSIDE of the structure with rigging and lean face up and down over the edge of the walkway.

Gravity and I don't get along. LOL.

My wife is deathly scared of heights.
However, on one of our trips to Las Vegas, I got her to go to the top of the Stratosphere.
We were running around getting all kinds of pictures as the snow was the lowest on the mountains that winter we went.
So I am out by the rail getting the snowcaps, show here what I got on the digital display.
I turn around and there she is at the rail.
I called out to her after she got a shot and just like a cartoon she ran to quick as a flash and was clinging onto a center support girder.
She was so wrapped up into the shot she never realized she was that close to and leaning over the edge.

There is no restriction for a chapter 336 hobbyist to fly at night.
And, so long as you are within 400ft of a structure, you can fly up to 400ft higher than the structure.

And just discovered another difference between part 107 and 336 differences...
Part 107 commercial does restrict both night flights and altitude to 400ft.
Chapter 336 hobbyist does not restrict either.
400ft is a guideline only to stay out of trouble but it is not restricted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers