Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

USA Spark in UK?

MyLittleDrony

Join
Sep 16, 2017
If I purchase a spark in the USA and use it in the UK, does anyone know if I will obtain access to the improved signal range that you get in the US, or does the drone know its in the UK and step down to EU Laws, essentially giving me the same range as I would if I bought one in the UK?

I believe its the latter, but I would like confirmation without the stale debate of whether its allowed or not.

Reactions: Martin Lines
If I purchase a spark in the USA and use it in the UK, does anyone know if I will obtain access to the improved signal range that you get in the US, or does the drone know its in the UK and step down to EU Laws, essentially giving me the same range as I would if I bought one in the UK?

I believe its the latter, but I would like confirmation without the stale debate of whether its allowed or not.
This has been covered previously on the forum (quite a few times). Please do a search and it will bring up the appropriate threads.
There is no such thing as a USA (FCC) or UK (CE) Spark. They are all the same and set their EIRP appropriately based on geographic location.
This means if you purchased your Spark in the UK and then took it on holiday to the US it would have higher power and range whilst you were out there. Once you return, it would throttle back its EIRP back to CE levels.

As an aside, there is some mis-information on the forum where people believe it is based purely on GPS positional data.
This is not the case and is actually determined on a three tier interogation protocol, based on Aircraft GPS, Device (tablet/phone) GPS and finally what's known as the phones MCC data.

Last edited:
Reactions: MyLittleDrony
As an aside, there is some mis-information on the forum where people believe it is based purely on GPS positional data. This is not the case and is actually determined on a three tier interogation protocol, based on Aircraft GPS, Device (tablet/phone) GPS and finally what's known as the phones MCC data.
What happens if you're flying with a Wi-Fi only mobile device?

What happens if you're flying with a Wi-Fi only mobile device?
Even Wi-if only tablets are mostly GPS enabled now and virtually every mobile,device has GPS built in so it will look in order....
1. Aircraft GPS data
2. Mobile device GPS data
3. Mobile MCC data.
If it cannot get information from any of these devices (in other words not one them answers) the Spark will use the last know WLAN settings at last boot.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis