Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Violating FAA rules with software hacks

I'm not an engineer, but I suspect adding a transponder is not something that can be done through software alone. The question concerning what becomes of legacy drones has been asked and I haven't seen any discussion by the FAA as yet. They're mandated to devise a test for recreational drone pilots, but haven't at this time. The FAA moves at a glacial pace and sometimes that's a good thing provided the time is used wisely to formulate policies with far reaching implications. The sUAS (small unmanned aircraft systems) classification pertains to drones between .55 lbs and 55 lbs, so the Spark at .66 lbs is within that range.

DJI’s and similar prosumer and above drones don’t necessarily need a separate transponder if the cell phone part of the system has GPS on and access to the Internet. The cell phone can report its location and that of the drone. I believe companies Involved have already demonstrated transponder-less position reporting and traffic separation technology. They may be in the process of implementing it in other countries.

Last edited:
DJI’s and similar prosumer and above drones don’t necessarily need a separate transponder if the cell phone part of the system has GPS on and access to the Internet. The cell phone can report its location and that of the drone. I believe companies Involved have already demonstrated the technology if not in the process of implementing it in other countries,
Flying with a remote and phone via OTG, I'm in Airplane mode on the phone and have no internet access and would have to cache maps of other areas. Don't cell phones get your position by triangulating between cell towers?

Flying with a remote and phone via OTG, I'm in Airplane mode on the phone and have no internet access and would have to cache maps of other areas. Don't cell phones get your position by triangulating between cell towers?

If the GPS receiver in your cell phone is off, I don’t think the cell network “triangulates” as much as knows what cell sites can receive your signal. All anyone could do is assume you are somewhere within the coverage footprint of those cell sites. So, it’s not a pinpoint location. If your cell phone is on, it checks in with the cell network every so often so “they” know where you are, I assume, within a few square miles.

I don’t know what part of a cell phone’s functionality Airplane Mode disables, but GPS receivers receive and don’t transmit, so I don’t know why Airplane Mode would need to disable the GPS receiver other than to conserve battery power on a long flight. I’ve never been interested enough in it to figure it out. In any case, if your DJI drone is using a GPS mode, then the DJI Go4 app probably logs where the drone is and how high it is above the takeoff point based on the Drone’s GPS. If the GPS in your phone is on, then I assume the Go4 app also logs the position of the cell phone/controller. So there’s plenty of data that can be used to track what you are doing,

Last edited:
If the GPS receiver in your cell phone is off, I don’t think the cell network “triangulates” as much as know what cell sites can receive your signal. All anyone can do is assume you are somewhere within the coverage footprint of those cell sites. So, it’s not a pinpoint location. If your cell phone is on, it checks in with the cell network every so often so “they” know where you are, I assume, within a few square miles.

I don’t know what part of a cell phone’s functionality airplane mode disables, but GPS receivers receive and don’t transmit, so I don’t know why airplane mode would need to disable the GPS receiver other than to conserve battery power on a long flight. I’ve never been interested enough in it to figure it out. In any case, if your DJI drone is using a GPS mode, then the DJI Go4 app probably logs where the drone is and how high it is above the takeoff point based on the Drone’s GPS. If the GPS in your phone is on, then I assume the Go4 app also logs the position of the cell phone/controller. So there’s plenty of data that can be used to track what you are doing,

The problem is the FAA will likely want real-time tracking in the future for crash prevention and for big brother reasons. Easiest way would be with software sending GPS data, much like how the Go app shows the drones location on the app map. The problem would be sending the stream of data if the phone is in airplane mode or doesn’t have service. That is why the FAA may require a special transponder, and my concern of what will happen to legacy drones.

FAA getting tracking data a day after a drone flight won’t do any good to prevent a crash with a reckless drone pilot (although it’d help with the investigation).

The problem is the FAA will likely want real-time tracking in the future for crash prevention and for big brother reasons. Easiest way would be with software sending GPS data, much like how the Go app shows the drones location on the app map. The problem would be sending the stream of data if the phone is in airplane mode or doesn’t have service. That is why the FAA may require a special transponder, and my concern of what will happen to legacy drones.

FAA getting tracking data a day after a drone flight won’t do any good to prevent a crash with a reckless drone pilot (although it’d help with the investigation).

Yes, I agree, for real-time tracking and/or traffic separation, one would need a separate transponder and/or an Internet connection, but much of the necessary technology already exists.

See Ping2020 minuture ADS-B transponder for drones (cost $2,000) here:

Also, see this AOLPA story about DJI's plans to incorporate ADS-B technology by 2020 here:

So, what is ADS-B? Read this:

Last edited:
On the plus side it looks like DJI is planning to put ADS receivers in future drones so that at least you as the PIC will know what is around you that squawks its location.

To the OP, I'm also appalled that people hack the s/w to allow them to fly illegally and then boast/document their activity. The one that got me was someone who posted an image (on this site) boasting of his drone way above 400 ft AGL. Even worse, the image was of an airport only 1/2 mile away, and the image was perfectly lined up with one of the runways! (I was able to take the image + display information and pretty much figure out within 2-3 houses exactly where this was launched from.)

Mavic Enterprise birds already have ADS-B receivers in them; I use one for some Part 107 jobs and it performs well.

That being said the Jan 2020 compliance date for ADS-B out retrofitting of manned aircraft in the USA only applies to aircraft that want to fly in Class B and C airspace. Many smaller private aircraft won’t have them and military aircraft won’t transmit ADS-B signals for security reasons.

I have - and will continue to use - NLD mods on some of my commercial birds to eliminate artificial restrictions on operating limits imposed by DJI.

Any pilot using NLD (or other) mods to eliminate NFZs, altitude limits, etc. is responsible for the consequences and do so at their own peril.

I’m a commercial remote pilot (and a manned aircraft pilot) and obey all FAA regulations. I have insurance. I check NOTAMs, sectional charts and use LAANC and the FAA waiver system. I want the option to operate within the regulations without asking the Chinese for permission.

Many smaller private aircraft won’t have them

They are the ones that fly around low enough in my area for concern. Weekend pilots flying circular patterns on nice days. There's even a few biplanes that buzz around.

I don't need electronic gizmos as my ears will hear a small aircraft long before I see it and can determine a plan of action, if any. Except balloons, they're sneaky.?

But the devices would be a plus.

I have - and will continue to use - NLD mods on some of my commercial birds to eliminate artificial restrictions on operating limits imposed by DJI.

I heard a comment from a part 107 pilot and instructor during a podcast promoting the use of NLD for the same reason as you.

After all, it is YOUR drone, not theirs, since you purchased it.

I want the option to operate within the regulations without asking the Chinese for permission.

Good for you. ?

Reactions: RotorWash
They are the ones that fly around low enough in my area for concern. Weekend pilots flying circular patterns on nice days. There's even a few biplanes that buzz around.

I don't need electronic gizmos as my ears will hear a small aircraft long before I see it and can determine a plan of action, if any. Except balloons, they're sneaky.[emoji2958]

But the devices would be a plus.

I heard a comment from a part 107 pilot and instructor during a podcast promoting the use of NLD for the same reason as you.

After all, it is YOUR drone, not theirs, since you purchased it.

Good for you. [emoji106]

Spark317:

Just looked at your member info; where are you located in Indiana? I grew up there and went to Purdue University.

Spark317:

Just looked at your member info; where are you located in Indiana? I grew up there and went to Purdue University.

Hamilton County, just north of Indy.

My SIL is an aircraft turbine tech and tests engines daily. I'll run it by him next time I see him, I'm sure he hasn't thrown in any Sparks but probably had a few fried chickens come and go.
I thought to ask him today and he said the turbofans on a big airliner are deisigned to be able to take a frozen 10lbs chicken into the blades without engine failure. Not many frozen chickens flying around, actually no chickens are flying but I digress. Getting hit with multiple strikes like a flock of geese, is another story. If a drone went into something smaller like the turbofan on a private jet it would probably cause engine failure.

the accuracy of such a tracking technique is not really high. It will be 150-300 meters in densely populated areas, where there are lots of cell towers and 2-5 kilometers in rural areas. Luckily, it is impossible to get more accurate location with only a cell tower triangulation, GPS will be required.

Reactions: Earthman
I was under the impression DJI had made it almost impossible to modify a crafts controls now

I agree with everything that has been said about hacks to the firmware of our sparks, or any other bird. As an ex police officer I regard myself as a sensible law abiding citizen with a respect for rules and regulations. However, I have been retired for 20 years now, and I can see that the 'rules and regulations' brigade are really getting a bit silly. I love flying my spark, and I really do regard it as a bit of a 'toy', although a highly sophisticated one, which amazes me with its capabilities, and the photographic qualities. I dont want to fly at 50mph, or at 500 mtrs high. Or to fly in airspace which could be dangerous to aircraft or above a football stadium with 90,000 people in it. Etc. Etc.
I am really worried for my hobby though. I am quite happy with the restrictions and rules as they stand today, but I am worried that the regulations are going to finish up preventing us from taking our birds to the sky at all, short of going to the middle of a desert region with no sign of life for miles, and even then we will be identified and watched in case we step out of line. Surely a certain amount of responsibility has to be left with us. Rules will not stop idiots doing stupid things.
I have been reading about the NLD dronez software, and was worried about the claims. But, it will stir interest in that it takes away big brother controls and maybe some of the future restrictions that could take away all of the pleasures of our hobby.
I do hope I am wrong!

I am surprised this conversation was allowed to go on as long as it did because of the community rules:

15. The Community Owners strongly encourage users to obey all federal and local laws and regulations when flying. It is a helpful service to the community when members guide others in understanding and following the regulations. Meanwhile, fully understanding all international rules and regulations is complex and it is not the responsibility of the community owners, moderators or community members to police and enforce these rules and regulations. Any violation of another community rule, even if in the context of attempting to help enforce flying laws and regulations, is prohibited.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers