Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

What software (Linux or Android only) can I use to combine AEB (Automatic Exposure Bracketing) photos from the Spark?

Andrei

Join
Jan 4, 2019
Hi,
I noticed that the Spark has what looks like a hi-dynamic range exposure bracketing mode called "AEB (Automatic Exposure Bracketing)". That gives me 3 images of different exposures. What software could I use to correctly combine these knowing that I only use Linux and Android (no Mac, iOS, Windows, etc.)?
Could you please recommend a good app to do that (even an online one if needed)?
Thank you

I have used several on W10 but Gimp will do it on Linux.

Reactions: Andrei
There are several open source applications, but I found most of them very cumbersome to use. But they are free so I would try them anyway. I tried Luminance HDR myself and it works.
I personally use Lightroom which does a decent job. Nothing fancy, but it works for me.
Something else: the AEB on the Spark is hardly usefull. The images vary with only one stop and the resulting HDR image will not show a lot of improvement. I sometimes get almost the same results by adjusting the blacks and the whites the middle image.
You can get better results by manually adjusting the exposure between shots yourself by two stops or more. Most software will align the images during the process so slight movement of the Spark during the image-taking process is not a problem.

Reactions: Andrei and sadatoni
I have used several on W10 but Gimp will do it on Linux.
I haven't used Gimp for a couple of years but from what I remember Gimp does not have an automatic process of creating HDR images. You had to open the seperate images as layers and then go through several steps (with layer masks) to create the final Image. Is this still true?

I haven't used Gimp for a couple of years but from what I remember Gimp does not have an automatic process of creating HDR images. You had to open the seperate images as layers and then go through several steps (with layer masks) to create the final Image. Is this still true?

The process outlined here looks pretty straightforward ... there's a plugin ("Exposure Blend") that mostly automates the process.

EDIT: Yikes! Getting the plugin is easier said than done. Looks like the Gimp plugin registry is down and being overhauled. You can still get the Exposure Blend plugin at the static archive on GitHub here, but you'll then need to save it in c:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\scripts\ (on Windows, obviously) and restart Gimp to make it available on the Filters menu.

Last edited:
The process outlined here looks pretty straightforward ... there's a plugin ("Exposure Blend") that mostly automates the process.

EDIT: Yikes! Getting the plugin is easier said than done. Looks like the Gimp plugin registry is down and being overhauled. You can still get the Exposure Blend plugin at the static archive on GitHub here, but you'll then need to save it in c:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\scripts\ (on Windows, obviously) and restart Gimp to make it available on the Filters menu.
I was afraid of this. The last paragraph will have most readers look for another solution :)

I was afraid of this. The last paragraph will have most readers look for another solution :)

Well, one solution is to ask a 12 year-old :D

On Linux, the path for the plugin file is /usr/share/gimp/2.0/scripts/

Just, ah, because ;)

Thanks for all your pointer!
I tried running the GIMP plugin and I an rather disappointed by the result: three not properly aligned layers.
And Multikoe's warning about the AEB of the Spark being less than stellar looks spot on.
So I guess I won't be using the AEB (or the blur mode) for that matter.
Good think the pano modes of the Spark are superb :)
Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme