Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

12th Century Helmsley Castle - M1P

Nice Brian, and obviously nippy out.
Thanks for getting up early on that frosty morning to shoot this in such excellent golden light.

That's probably what most of us 'see' in their minds when they hear old English castle.
A moat (may have been dry in this era), obvious defensive walling, wooden fence to slow down an enemy and give archers a chance to do their thing, secondary defenses, retreat paths, and the last stand ramparts of the main tower.

The walled garden adjacent was good to see from the air, no doubt this would have been protected by the castle guards very well.

I was intrigued by this location and history, so had a google . . . Map

Searched up for an impression of what it looked like back in the day, the stone work likely commenced around 1258 or so.
The first structures were built of wood, circa 1120 !

This is apparently what it probably looked like from the ruins of today . . .

helmsley.jpg

More photos that are interesting on this website, an archive album here . . .

Helmsley Castle - The Helmsley Archive

The slow pan over the village, I imagine this is how it was in the day, a lord in the hills above looking over the peasants below.

Thanks again for the effort on that cold morning and the work in editing for posting.

Cheers Spark South Oz!
It’s great when a trip creates interest and further research.
That moat really looks effective eh?
The frosty morning was super for the light and the early start meant not many people about so I was free to fly and film easily.
I am really pleased you liked it.
Cheers!

Nice Brian, and obviously nippy out.
Thanks for getting up early on that frosty morning to shoot this in such excellent golden light.

That's probably what most of us 'see' in their minds when they hear old English castle.
A moat (may have been dry in this era), obvious defensive walling, wooden fence to slow down an enemy and give archers a chance to do their thing, secondary defenses, retreat paths, and the last stand ramparts of the main tower.

The walled garden adjacent was good to see from the air, no doubt this would have been protected by the castle guards very well.

I was intrigued by this location and history, so had a google . . . Map

Searched up for an impression of what it looked like back in the day, the stone work likely commenced around 1258 or so.
The first structures were built of wood, circa 1120 !

This is apparently what it probably looked like from the ruins of today . . .

View attachment 14024

More photos that are interesting on this website, an archive album here . . .

Helmsley Castle - The Helmsley Archive

The slow pan over the village, I imagine this is how it was in the day, a lord in the hills above looking over the peasants below.

Thanks again for the effort on that cold morning and the work in editing for posting.
Thanks for the background research.

Reactions: SPark_South_Oz
Nice blend of music and videography! Although I have friends who enjoy the early sun rays, with my aging eyes, it’s a problem. Good discussion of history and role of castle look forward to more presentations like this
Cheers Ken44! Thanks for the kind words.

Lots of vids on my YouTube channel... just look for the tash on f1pitpass channel !!!

I’m a bit late to the party but we’ll done Brian. Usual attention to detail and wonderful location. Rather stunning light too and I like the little flashes of light in the early part of the film. How were the fingers at the end of the flight!!?

Reactions: BrianP
I’m a bit late to the party but we’ll done Brian. Usual attention to detail and wonderful location. Rather stunning light too and I like the little flashes of light in the early part of the film. How were the fingers at the end of the flight!!?
Cheers twickers14! Seeing that you got chance to watch it all has made my Sunday :)
My new mittens, with fingerless feature are super!
They are great for flying and still photography. Definitely recommend wearing wool .
Thank you for the kind words and comments.
-did you manage to fly in the mist???

My pleasure Brian. I too went out with special mittens with fingers-free facility like yours but they are acrylic and I need to get some woolen ones. Yes got up in the mist and hopefully a few stills are in today’s Mavic posts. I did post them on Thursday but for the first time ever they never made it. Think I might have included one vid (not through YT) and that caused a no publish.

Reactions: BrianP
My pleasure Brian. I too went out with special mittens with fingers-free facility like yours but they are acrylic and I need to get some woolen ones. Yes got up in the mist and hopefully a few stills are in today’s Mavic posts. I did post them on Thursday but for the first time ever they never made it. Think I might have included one vid (not through YT) and that caused a no publish.
I would love to see the flight stuff but am not using the mavic forum anymore so will miss your work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme