Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

3 months with the Spark

peraltron

Join
Jul 31, 2017
So I just wanted to give my thoughts on how the Spark has been for the past 3 months I've had it. So far it's been amazing. Reading all the issues that people have been having, I've always had that fear that it someday come and bye-bye spark, but the times I've used it for filming and just taking videos, I've never experienced loss of connection, ATTI-mode or fall from the sky. I feel like it's more operator error rather than the drone itself. I do all the pre-flight checks to make sure I'm in the clear and that I'm ALWAYS LINE OF SIGHT with the spark. Mind you, I only use my phone to control it so it can't go THAT far.

I do notice that when you boot it up, takes quite some time to find GPS and create a home point. The longest I've waited was roughly 5 minutes. Is this normal? Please let me know as I feel that it was a bit quicker before... Anyways, other than that, I've flown this thing over a forest, over rivers and in a small crowd, and it's been good! Even when I don't have a lot of satellites locking on to the spark, it's still pretty stable and I'm able to control it easily. I do not, however, like how long it takes for the spark to turn with my phone. I know, I should get the controller to get longer distances and go sport mode, but that defeats the purpose of being portable and having less clutter to bring (just my opinion). I still wish they could add picture profiles. It would be much better and easier to edit the videos. Also, a little 60fps wouldn't hurt as well, but that's wishful thinking!

Other than that, it's been great! I know other pilots have had their spark for much longer, but I just thought I would share mine.

Here are a few videos I've made with the Spark! I live in Toronto, Canada just in case you guys are wondering!

and

Reactions: Mako79
I do notice that when you boot it up, takes quite some time to find GPS and create a home point. The longest I've waited was roughly 5 minutes. Is this normal?
No. What's the environment like in the locations where you notice these long GPS acquisition times?

No. What's the environment like in the locations where you notice these long GPS acquisition times?
I thought so. Coincidentally, the times it happened were in those videos. In the Gorge video, it was fairly wide open, no metal structures or anything that would block signal,I had decent amount of satellites (8-10) and for the Algonquin park video, it was wide open space, some trees behind me but in front of me was wide open. I had 17-19 satellites locked on and it still quite some time to register a home-point. Hmm...

I thought so. Coincidentally, the times it happened were in those videos. In the Gorge video, it was fairly wide open, no metal structures or anything that would block signal,I had decent amount of satellites (8-10) and for the Algonquin park video, it was wide open space, some trees behind me but in front of me was wide open. I had 17-19 satellites locked on and it still quite some time to register a home-point. Hmm...

Trees will block the signal.

Even if I'm getting 17-19 satellites? I thought the more satellites you get, the easier it'll be to acquire a homepoint...

I'm shrugging here. Try taking it to a wide open space and see what happens.

Trees will block the signal.
+1
Mofo trees. Always walking into my drone and blocking ma' signals.
What use are trees to humans - cut them all down!!!

I feel like if I just set my home point manually (i.e go to menu and just set it there), it'll be just as good, or better.. questions is, do I set it to where I'm located or where the drone is?

I've found that once I have a signal, if I relocate or move/ power the drone on or off it finds the GPS signal quickly again.
remember what GPS navigation was like before mobile phones? It would take for ever to find a lock - when mobiles came along the cell towers dramatically decreased the time it takes for the device to lock on to a signal.

Part of GPS finding is actually listening to the GPS signal and downloading a map of the satellite timing information and
orbital parameters known as Almanac and Ephemeris, its transmitted in regular bursts but often but the data last 30 mins.

http://gpsinformation.net/main/almanac.txt

Reactions: noooris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe