Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

A bit disappointed in my new Spark.

1) This is true of all DJI drones in my experience. The wifi connection introduces about 500ms of lag into the video feed..
2) It depends heavily on what you're flying around, and what the wifi signals in the area look like. Lots of wifi signals = decreased range. Lots of trees = decreased range. I fly around a lot of trees, and I only get about 700ft before I start to lose signal. If I have good line of sight it's far better.
3) The banking only happens in sport mode. This is intentional. Turn off sport mode to enable the gimbal to counteract the horizontal banking.
4) It's not really meant/built for low light conditions.
5) Change your white balance settings which will be on-screen in the DJI Go app. Auto white balance isn't super good at adjusting on the fly.

All that said, watching a few youtube videos or reading some reviews would have explained what the proper philosophy of use for the Spark is. It sounds like you went into it with some unrealistic expectations. You're not going to get a world class professional video drone in a tiny package for $500. Even a years old phantom 3 standard will take better quality video for the same price tag (it just comes with the obvious downsides of being large, requiring more setup for each use, etc). On the plus side, the Spark takes far better still images than the Phantom 3 does. :p

Well said, Hickeroar!
I think most of us wanting a low-cost drone for decent pics and video have read up before buying, and not expected the sports-mode high-performance of higher priced models.
You gets what you pays for, and this is an entry-level budget-priced drone that does everything you want at that level, and pretty well too!
Well pleased with mine (if not with my expertise at flying it just yet!)

I own 2 Sparks , a Mavic Pro, and a Phantom 4 Pro, love all 4 of them but I bet I fly the Spark the most !! LOL
I will never say I like one over the other, there all great. :)

Reactions: Edslittleworld
I found that bluetooth interferes with the controller and drone so I turn it off before every flight.

This little thing just keeps amazing me.
Flew it this afternoon in a fair breeze, 10mph gusting 15mph and it held it's position no problem.
And a warning popped up on the app saying 'Large wind velocity. Fly with caution.' :D

I have always been a Mavic lover, but it's just not as zippy as my old Parrot Bebop 2. I like low-altitude "barnstorming" and "strafing". So, I went into Best Buy to buy a Bebop 2 on sale for $499 and saw a special on the DJI Spark. So, I bought it as I've had good luck with DJI products.

Well...it's very cute. However, that's about it. What I don't like:

1) Video lagginess: I'm still using the WiFi link to the phone and it's VERY laggy.
2) Low range: The range is barely 2500 feet where my Mavic was well over 10,000 feet.
3) Banking: I don't like the severe "banking" image with the Spark.
4) Low light image quality: The image is extremely laggy in lower light conditions.
5) Video washout: The video doesn't seem to auto-adjust like the Mavic with regard to lighting.

I'm going to try the direct cable to the phone, but if it doesn't help with the lagginess and image quality...it's probably going back. Plus, I ordered some parabolic antenna boosters to try and improve the range.

Has anyone else come to the same conclusion?
Same exact problems here. I had to send mine back to dji because the image keeps cutting out close and I would say far but it’s not it’s like 100 feet out. Really disappointing. And I’ve flow without OTG cable and with. Even tried different locations to rule out Wi-Fi interference.

I love my Spark, which I use for Motorbike Touring Cinematography and Photography. For me, weight, portability, size (small), noise (quiet), Cost (low - so risk of confiscation or loss are mitigated) were all more important than resolution, WB, 3-axis gimbal etc. Having said that, the Mavic Pro was top of the list before the low priced, smaller, quieter Spark was released.

I do intend scaling up to the MPP, but only when I have absolutely flown to the absolute limits of the Spark, developed my skill and created repeatable processes. After all I learned to ride on a cheap moped, long before scaling up to a 1200cc Ducati; and I learned to play a nylon string cheap guitar before performing on my Ovation and Takamine.

As to:
1) Video lag - I experience some on the Galaxy S8, none on the iPad Mini 2. No OTG cable
2) Range - I need to get extenders, but have flown up to a km away. It can lose connectivity with a lot of cloud cover and over water - water tends to sap 2.4 and 5.8GHz RF right out of the air. That's just the physics of microwaves. At 500m the drone is practically invisible anyway, which means I'm technically breaking the law. I think that I technically break the law regularly, but attempt to do it in the safest manner possible to my vehicle, other aviation traffic, and the general public. E.g. I may break the AGL limit, but only in remote locations where there are no cars, people, and especially other aircraft around.
3) Banking - Sport mode switch. Don't film in sport mode unless you want fixed wing style banking shots. This also goes for shooting in high wind.
4) No probs with low light. I've even done night shots. Tripod mode, manual camera, long exposure. I'd like more than 2 seconds, but doubt the gymbal could handle that
5) Washout - adjusting is slow on Auto camera, but set to manual, frame your shot, set the exposure and fly the shot. If you want to change aspects, fly the shot twice with two different exposures and composite in post. Autopilot and Litchi are better than Go here.
AF1QipMwF3NribNmc-kPoIZxqkI0VJ4MgKDpicDXWhak

I'm flying with a OTG cable and I have never gotten my Spark further away than maximum 250meters, around 820 feet..
Should I try to do something??

I managed to get a distance of 530 metres just this morning on 5.8hz band, for the price it's not bad at all, I bought the Spark as a beginner drone, so I can learn all I need to know before I spend many thousands of dollars on the drone I really want, so I'm not disappointed with the spark at all

What device are you using? I use an Ipad Mini 4 with cellular. I don't put it in airplane mode, I don't check if Blue Tooth is on or not. I do check I don't have a boatload of apps up and running, but have never had an issue with my Ipad's connectivity to the Spark and Remote. I don't even bother with the OTG cable anymore. I just connect via the wifi and fly...

I found that bluetooth interferes with the controller and drone so I turn it off before every flight.

I have updated my phone so I use my samsung s6 plus with just the go 4 on it only for my spark and I have a dedicated ipad mini 2 for my phantom 4.
These work very well.

What device are you using? I use an Ipad Mini 4 with cellular. I don't put it in airplane mode, I don't check if Blue Tooth is on or not. I do check I don't have a boatload of apps up and running, but have never had an issue with my Ipad's connectivity to the Spark and Remote. I don't even bother with the OTG cable anymore. I just connect via the wifi and fly...

Iphone SE

I've not had the Spark long, but have had many drones in recent years starting with the Phantom 1, even tried a Yuneec Typhoon H for a while but currently fly the Mavic, a P3 and the Spark.

Having used so many different units I have to say the best selling point for the Spark is palm launch and land. I was at the beach yesterday and took both the Spark and the Mavic but opted for the Spark as I could hand launch without having to search for a clear sand free surface. Its pretty much revolutionary in that respect. It also flew nicely in the 15mph wind which was a pleasant surprise.

Only missing two things 1) EV compensation to quickly dial in the best exposure 2) RAW, I probably do more photography with drones than video and while I picked up the Spark for short family videos I would love for it to support RAW for the odd picture.

Overall really happy with the Spark.

Thanks for all your replies. Now, that I've worked out (what I call) the bugs...I really like mine, now. It's a nice diversion from flying the Mavic. Plus, I don't have to get out of my lawn chair between flights with the hand catching. Additionally, charging is fast.

I don't really care for the DJI goggles or even the OTG. Just an iPad Mini and the WiFi for me.

Reactions: Lastrexking
Just spent a week in Micronesia and flew the drone 2kms (over water) at ~100m AGL and then 1.6kms at 500m AGL.

iPad Mini 2
No OTG Cable
No range extenders but I did have to face the drone and it was a crystal clear (no humidity) evening

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast