Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Active Track in a tight spot?

floridabeachbum

Join
Jun 30, 2019
Imagine a shot walking behind a person, in a hallway about 7 feet tall, that leads down a ramp, with a total distance of 40' long, and about a 2-foot elevation drop.

Manually (well, with the actual controller), I could easily get this shot, especially in tripod mode.

But I want to do it with me doing the walking. So Active Track seems like a really good candidate.

I just tried a few test runs in the yard (trees) and street using only my phone as the controller.

My active track seems a bit jenky even in good conditions, and it doesn't like the low altitude (even 5 feet was "Too Low").

I know I'm asking for the extremely improbable, but I figured if it has been done before, someone here would know how to do it.

So, tips, tricks, suggestions?

I may take a test video of the actual location for this and post it as a reply, so everyone can understand the scenario.

, in a hallway about 7 feet tall, that leads down a ramp, with a total distance of 40' long, and about a 2-foot elevation drop.

I haven't messed with the Active Track features, but I believe you need a GPS lock on the Spark for it to work.

Since you are inside a structure, GPS will not be available to use the feature.

Better teach somebody to fly your Spark to record you.

Or purchase a Skydio 2.

Reactions: floridabeachbum
I just tried it again with the "Indoor Away and Follow" mode turned on.

I'll definitely need to put the prop guards on, but it worked pretty well.

I'll try a test run at the location and see if I can get it to work there.

The actual location is a beach access ramp, surrounded by sea grape bushes / trees. It's like a natural hallway, rather picturesque. But it's also open enough that I think she'll hold a GPS lock with no issues.

Reactions: Spark 317
I don't think it will follow you down hill but with only a two foot drop you should get it to work. I've done that on trails in front facing me and behind with the controller. That works pretty well but of course you can see the controller....thats kind of a problem in active track as well. How about two stationary shots of you walking away...or maybe one walking away and the other coming toward the drone..I'm always looking for the easy way out ;)

Well, I tried to go out there yesterday, and because it's a holiday week, the spot was packed. I'll have to either go really early in the morning, or wait until Monday.

So we had a few hiccups. Mostly people, which was understandable.

On one attempt, I got a little more than halfway and Sparkles found a leaf more interesting than following me. But I still think it can be done.

I'll edit & post the video as soon as I can.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe