Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Advice on flying indoor around machinery

FlyingAce574

Join
Mar 3, 2019
Hey everyone,

I’m a relatively new drone pilot. I just received my Spark about a month ago and I’ve become pretty comfortable (haven’t tried anything crazy, just flying at relatively underwhelming speeds and heights until I feel more confident.)

I eventually want to use my drone at work. I work at a manufacturing company that builds some pretty state-of-the-art, automated welding machines for the aerospace industry. These machines are massive. That’s where the drone comes in: I want to be able to fly it over the machines to get a sense of their size and capabilities for marketing purposes.

Any advice for someone flying indoors in this type of setting? Large, warehouse-type building. Plenty of room around and above each machine.

Any modes/settings I should activate? I would ideally like to avoid a collision with a million dollar machine :0)

Thanks!

I am not an expert, but the first thing I would check is how modes, etc function in the building by doing testing before actually stating your photo flight.

You''ll want to do lots of test flights in open areas indoor to get used to the aircraft.

Flying inside "can" create odd turbulence and you'll blow dust/debris around that you don't ever see otherwise.

Also keep in mind the "flying for your employer" will be considered non-Hobby so get your Part 107 so you're on the good side of things.

Roof will likely block GPS satellite signal so you'll be in ATTI mode. Steel beams or metal roof in typical warehouse will likely give magnetic interference or compass error. Re-bar in concrete floor often a problem preventing take off so practice palm launch. The machines themselves could interfere since they probably contain ferrous metals. Any wifi or Bluetooth in the building could give RF interference too.

You probably won't have all of these problems but I've experienced each one separately. The Spark wasn't designed with indoor flying as a priority -- I got a Tello for that. :D

Beginner Mode would limit distance but requires GPS. Tripod Mode would prevent sudden movements. Should check RTH and maximum altitudes to less than ceiling heights. Use prop guards. And get in a few practice runs before the big day.

Even if you aren't getting paid directly for it the use you describe is not recreational or hobby so Part 107 for sure.

Last edited:
So, those bringing up Part 107 as an issue ... from what I've read so far I don't believe the space inside a structure is regulated by the FAA.

So, those bringing up Part 107 as an issue ... from what I've read so far I don't believe the space inside a structure is regulated by the FAA.

You make a good point. Indoors isn't FAA regulated airspace.

But if he does eventually progress into commercial work outdoors I thought he should be aware of the rules. Lots of folks incorrectly believe if you don't receive payment directly it isn't commercial use -- but the guidelines specifically state otherwise.

That's COMPLETELY correct. Good point!! FAA has NO authority on any INSIDE flights so long as there is no opportunity for the aircraft to enter the NAS!

Good catch and MY BAD :)

Reactions: Dodge DeBoulet
In furtherance of a business.... this is worth a watch (as is anything Ken produces)

Does NOT apply if flown completely INDOORS!!

FAA = Safety in NAS (no authority on INDOOR flights)

Hey everyone,

I’m a relatively new drone pilot. I just received my Spark about a month ago and I’ve become pretty comfortable (haven’t tried anything crazy, just flying at relatively underwhelming speeds and heights until I feel more confident.)

I eventually want to use my drone at work. I work at a manufacturing company that builds some pretty state-of-the-art, automated welding machines for the aerospace industry. These machines are massive. That’s where the drone comes in: I want to be able to fly it over the machines to get a sense of their size and capabilities for marketing purposes.

Any advice for someone flying indoors in this type of setting? Large, warehouse-type building. Plenty of room around and above each machine.

Any modes/settings I should activate? I would ideally like to avoid a collision with a million dollar machine :0)

Thanks!
Hey Flyingace! I also got my Spark to do more indoor flying. . I found this article written specifically about what settngs should be changed for indoor flying. . .such as Smart RTH, etc. . .looked like a great article. . .check it out at Complete Guide to Indoor Drone Photography - Part 1 - Settings - dronegenuity

please check the manual ,for the correct number
but i have a split level house and in Atti mode my spark
can not even go up to the ceilling
maximum 5 or 6 meter high Atti (15 feets)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariadef