Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Looking to buy a Spark, but not sure I can justify the cost

Been a while but I'm finally getting one! Second-hand Fly More combo with 3 batteries, I'm picking it up next week ? anything in particular I should look out for before I make the purchase? The seller is happy to fly it and show me it in action before I give them any money.

Thanks!

I have the Samsung S10e and have flown with controller and Spark easily. Pairs well and stays connected. Only issue is the back, home, app buttons on the S10e screen can be difficult to reach under the controller clamps.

Reactions: Aslad
I have the Samsung S10e and have flown with controller and Spark easily. Pairs well and stays connected. Only issue is the back, home, app buttons on the S10e screen can be difficult to reach under the controller clamps.
Do you use an OTG cable or just WiFi? ?

I use a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ with OTG, works like a champ. I presume the S10e would perform even better. Look the drone, RC and batteries over closely for any signs of impact or swelling batteries. I bought a used one and it looked pristine other than a small crack in the right rear ESC fitting beneath the landing light which the owner said he cracked when taking the prop guards off. I got two off Amazon with LED lenses for around $7, but haven't taken the time to change it out as it is barely noticeable and doesn't affect performance. You'll have the advantage of seeing it operate. Good luck!

Reactions: RotorWash and Aslad
There's a lot of info on what usually causes flyaways. Spark has a lot of smarts and I think the biggest threat comes from pilots who fly too close to the edge of battery power and obstacles. You'll be fine if you do your part and your confidence will grow along with your skill.

There's a lot of info on what usually causes flyaways. Spark has a lot of smarts and I think the biggest threat comes from pilots who fly too close to the edge of battery power and obstacles. You'll be fine if you do your part and your confidence will grow along with your skill.
Yeah I definitely won't be risking low batteries, and don't plan on flying too high or far away simply because I'll worry about losing it ? and with 3 batteries I don't need to push it to the edge anyway :)

Yeah I definitely won't be risking low batteries, and don't plan on flying too high or far away simply because I'll worry about losing it ? and with 3 batteries I don't need to push it to the edge anyway :)

Yeah what I B Spectre said. It is a very fun drone and I totally love mine. It takes really good pictures and videos. Be careful where you fly and aware of your surrounding and you will have a blast with it. The portability is one thing I love the most. It's not a hastle to take it anywhere. Have fun and good luck with it.

Yeah what I B Spectre said. It is a very fun drone and I totally love mine. It takes really good pictures and videos. Be careful where you fly and aware of your surrounding and you will have a blast with it. The portability is one thing I love the most. It's not a hastle to take it anywhere. Have fun and good luck with it.
I will do, thanks!

Hi there,
I'm new here and just looking for some advice. I really love filmmaking and photography and have always wanted a proper quality drone.. currently I own a Hubsan H507A X4 Star, which was a good introduction to flying but the camera is very poor and not suitable for proper film and photography, which is why I'm looking at getting a Spark as they are probably the only drone that is of the quality I'd want within my budget. Mavic Air or above is just too expensive for me as I'm a university student.

However.. for me the Spark would be a significant investment and would leave me pretty cash strapped for a couple of months, and I'm worried that I just wouldn't get the opportunity to use it as much as I'd like, or that I'd lose it quickly due to pilot error. Amazon Prime Day mean that the Spark is on sale (£100 off) for tomorrow only so it's almost now or never for me.

So is it worth the leap? I love drone flying and I know I'd want to be using the Spark all the time but it has a hefty price tag for a student like me, and I live in a built-up area so would need to travel to use it, so I really can't decide...

Thanks in advance!
keep an eye on walmart $199 with remote but good luck they fly off the shelves.

Not sure how I missed this whole thread but anyway, if you're new to the Spark or maybe wanting one, this is a great thread to read. Every comment offered had valuable information. ? ? I would add the following consideration, the limitations of the Spark's camera and settings may seem like a negative against it but if you're new to both DJI and aerial photography, the limitations help prevent "settings overload" at first plus you don't need to invest in the latest desktop hardware to process the video (1080p) in a timely or stable manner. That way you can see how you enjoy the hobby without going all in. It also forces you to be creative so that if and when you do move to a higher end camera drone you'll be like a kid in a candy store. That's my plan anyway.

keep an eye on walmart $199 with remote but good luck they fly off the shelves.
I'm in the UK and I have one now, thanks though :)

Aside from that, is there a special way to activate palm landing? Every time I've flown so far, its never been suitable to land it on the floor due to wet ground, grass, wind etc so I've been just grabbing it and holding throttle down until the Spark shuts down... until today when I attempted this in high winds and ended up with sliced fingers ? just pure stupidity I know (and lesson definitely learnt) but there must be a better way to do this?

Not sure how I missed this whole thread but anyway, if you're new to the Spark or maybe wanting one, this is a great thread to read. Every comment offered had valuable information. ? ? I would add the following consideration, the limitations of the Spark's camera and settings may seem like a negative against it but if you're new to both DJI and aerial photography, the limitations help prevent "settings overload" at first plus you don't need to invest in the latest desktop hardware to process the video (1080p) in a timely or stable manner. That way you can see how you enjoy the hobby without going all in. It also forces you to be creative so that if and when you do move to a higher end camera drone you'll be like a kid in a candy store. That's my plan anyway.

I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far, got some great pics and videos:

Reactions: RotorWash
I'm in the UK and I have one now, thanks though :)

Aside from that, is there a special way to activate palm landing? Every time I've flown so far, its never been suitable to land it on the floor due to wet ground, grass, wind etc so I've been just grabbing it and holding throttle down until the Spark shuts down... until today when I attempted this in high winds and ended up with sliced fingers ? just pure stupidity I know (and lesson definitely learnt) but there must be a better way to do this?
Here you go:
Hand launch and landing the Spark

For landing. I just fly down to where I can reach and pick it out of the sky.

Now, I turn it off by holding the stick down till it stops trying to get away instead of turning it to the side.

For landing. I just fly down to where I can reach and pick it out of the sky.

Now, I turn it off by holding the stick down till it stops trying to get away instead of turning it to the side.
That's what I normally do, but it ended up with me slicing three fingers open today lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme