Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Airmap vs Kittyhawk

I B Spectre

Join
Aug 16, 2019
In preparation for getting my Spark, I bookmarked links to Airmap, Skyvector and the FAA's Visualize It sites. Skyvector is basically online sectional charts and my area is quite congested to the point of being easier to use as a private pilot than for drone flying. One app may have features better than another, but be lacking in other aspects. It appears both Airmap and Kittyhawk are now LAANC accessible, which should prove helpful. The Visualize It map has less detail than Airmap when it comes to small facilities.

I don't mind having more than one resource, but I wanted to ask you Airmap and Kittyhawk users which you prefer and why. Inquiring minds want to know ;)
I should note that I'm using an Android device.

Reactions: SoccerRef12
Reactions: DavidBlezard
I use AIRMAP.

It's the app I started with and so far so good.

Airmap does seem more user friendly and I can use it on my phone and pc. As usual, information begets more information and msinger's excellent links led me down the rabbit hole to unlocking DJI Geofencing, which is far beyond where I am at this point. Still, it provides room for growth and expanded access, so I've bookmarked the pertinent links.

One question arose has to do with me using a phone dedicated purely to the Spark and the implications for both LAANC and Geofence unlocking. The Spark Samsung phone does not have a sim card and I do all the DJI updates over home wifi as needed. I intended to install Airmap on my daily use LG V20 cell phone, which is no longer on DJI's compatibility list. I'm not sure if this will present a conflict if the LAANC or DJI unlock request is made from a different phone number than the one I have linked to the Spark. I presume I could make the requests over home wifi and upload the authorizations to the Spark as needed. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if this will present a conflict if the LAANC or DJI unlock request is made from a different phone number than the one I have linked to the Spark
No, that'll be just fine. The DJI unlock request is unrelated to the FAA authorization via LAANC. If you're flying in a locked GEO zone, you'll still need to unlock it in DJI GO (or on the DJI website) after getting FAA authorization to fly.

I use airmap. Easy to understand. I’ve lokkrd At Kittyhawk and it seems a bit more combersome. You with also want to look at UAV forecast nice to know wind profile and number of satellites available for gps B4UFLY rounds out the tools for me.

I agree with the value of UAV Forecast. I used it throughout today to monitor the local winds as hurricane Dorian passed by, such a great app with winds aloft info. I've used Airmap a bit on my desktop pc, but haven't put it on my phone yet. I do appreciate everyone's input. It lets me stand on the shoulders of giants.

Kittyhawk absolutely does not work on my Moto Z2. While some parts of the app work, creating a mission gets the reply "coming soon"..and I can't create checklists as the text is not visible on the screen. I tried to fly within the App itself a few weeks back, and quickly had a very bad vibe and exited immediately. No way I'm trusting my Spark to that app. Not ready for PrimeTime, at least for me.

I've never used AirMap, just installed it now and already am impressed, just spending a couple of minutes clicking around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502