Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Airscrew comparison.

brushpilot

Join
Aug 13, 2019
Loc
North Star, Alberta
I'm a new Spark pilot (first post) and I have to say that the only part of flying I haven't enjoyed is the 'wasp' buzz. I live in a remote, quiet area which makes it more audible. My son's Mavic Air can be heard close to Km. away from launch... so I jumped at the Master Airscrew props when I learned of them. I just took delivery 30 minutes ago and of course dropped everything to try and compare them. I did a take-off and hover at 2 M. with the DJI foldies on and used the Decibel Meter Pro on an iPhone 6 to measure sound. With the microphone aimed at, and 2 M. away from the Spark the reading was 72-84 dB. Landed, quickly changed props and repeated. M.A.S. props were 63-72 dB under exactly the same conditions. So, somewhere around 10-12 dB drop in my case but more importantly, as mentioned by others, the pitch is lower and less annoying. I haven't the time today to test out performance claims for longer flights and smoother maneuvering but I'm already happy so anything else will be a bonus. Stay tuned...

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, brushpilot.

Thanks for sharing the details so far.

I'm thinking about purchasing a set for my Spark.

Welcome to the Forum. ?

Reactions: brushpilot
I forgot to mention in my review that when you compare the two props in profile you can noticeably see the prop pitch is greater on the M.A.S. with a greater surface area, overall. My partially informed guess is that the deeper 'bite' of the M.A.S. props reduces the rpm and hence the noise. Most rotor noise is caused by tip vortices and represents lost energy. I've seen upswept tips on competing low noise rotors and that could be their route to greater efficiency. I've worked with helicopters for many years and you notice stuff after a while. If you look at the blades of a UH-60 Blackhawk you'll see both the main and tail rotors are swept a bit at the tips and I find they make less noise than a helo that has half the lift capability.

Reactions: twickers14
Thanks! These positive reports are starting to sway me. May have spring the $25 after all.

Sounds like the difference between a cruise and a climb prop. Less noise and more speed with a cruise prop but a much longer take off roll. I'm thinking most drones are probably over powered to begin with so lift off and climb is not going to be a huge factor.
For me the folding props on the spark are a big reason that I like it so much. I just don't want to give that up. I guess it wouldn't kill me to spring for a set of the less noisy props for some occasions.

Reactions: twickers14
Any thoughts ? On adding stress to the motors with a different pitch? I know ok boats you match the horse power and the weight of the boat to a range of prop pitches to fit the use of the boat.

The MAS props sound like a reasonable investment! Are there any settings that need to be changed to compensate for the different props?

Reactions: brushpilot
My iPad mini overheated and shut down in the middle of a recent flight. The drone was out of the sight of my 64 year old eyes and I was not sure which way it was pointed. After taking a deep breath to stop my panic I was able to locate my Spark only because of the sound of the props. The higher hiss sound turned out to be a blessing!

Reactions: loup
Any thoughts ? On adding stress to the motors with a different pitch? I know ok boats you match the horse power and the weight of the boat to a range of prop pitches to fit the use of the boat.
I can't see why it would be an issue. These new brushless dc motors are amazing little critters. Keep in mind that I'm guessing about the RPM change - just seems likely.

More pitch on same length props equal more motor load decreased battery time. May not be significant though if props are shorter than stock props. FWIW

That would also more relate to prop efficiency, drag vs lift.

I’m more concerned with flight time changes than the noise, a reliable extra minute or two would be nice :)

That said as I’m discovering it’s getting harder and harder to fly a Spark (or any drone) anywhere worldwide as the rules start closing in. When there are signs at the entrance to every park I’ve entered in Thailand and Malaysia this year advising “no drones” or “no drones without permit” it makes quieter props moot as I’m not going to do 3 years in a SE Asian prison for some kick-butt video :)

Reactions: Maersk65
I'm a new Spark pilot (first post) and I have to say that the only part of flying I haven't enjoyed is the 'wasp' buzz. I live in a remote, quiet area which makes it more audible. My son's Mavic Air can be heard close to Km. away from launch... so I jumped at the Master Airscrew props when I learned of them. I just took delivery 30 minutes ago and of course dropped everything to try and compare them. I did a take-off and hover at 2 M. with the DJI foldies on and used the Decibel Meter Pro on an iPhone 6 to measure sound. With the microphone aimed at, and 2 M. away from the Spark the reading was 72-84 dB. Landed, quickly changed props and repeated. M.A.S. props were 63-72 dB under exactly the same conditions. So, somewhere around 10-12 dB drop in my case but more importantly, as mentioned by others, the pitch is lower and less annoying. I haven't the time today to test out performance claims for longer flights and smoother maneuvering but I'm already happy so anything else will be a bonus. Stay tuned...
And your warranty is immediately void...

My iPad mini overheated and shut down in the middle of a recent flight. The drone was out of the sight of my 64 year old eyes and I was not sure which way it was pointed. After taking a deep breath to stop my panic I was able to locate my Spark only because of the sound of the props. The higher hiss sound turned out to be a blessing!
No RC?

I jumped on these too. I mean, for $25, it's hard not to give them a shot, right?

Luckily, I tried them out immediately after they arrived. The next day, Florida Monsoon Season began.

The stock foldies fit in my case without any problem. MAS needs to be removed. A minor hassle, but I hassle with the drone enough.

Where is my pre-flight checklist?
  • Battery holding tight?
  • 3 Minutes for start-up and connections
  • GPS set
  • Signal Confirmation
  • Set home point - failed
  • Format SD Card
  • Check and adjust video settings.
  • Meh, go fly regardless
  • Start video
  • Lift off!
  • "The Home Point Has Been Updated"
  • GRRR!
Putting on my props is just another fun-suck. But maybe it's worth it for these new ones.

And...

They are okay.

Slightly lower pitch, slightly lower noise. Nothing dramatic.

The sweetness is when you get a little distance between you. They get noticeably quieter at a shorter distance (or altitude).

I didn't notice any real difference in flight time, handling, etc.

$25 - is it worth it?

Well, I'm not returning them. But I'll probably stick with the stock foldies for the most part and keep these as backups, or put them on occasionally for something a little different.

Would I recommend them? If you want to give them a shot, sure, why not?

Just don't expect dramatic results.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, floridabeachbum.

Thanks for review and a new word, fun-suck.
I know what you mean, just didn't know the name for it. ?

Welcome to the Forum. ?

• Haha
Reactions: floridabeachbum

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex