Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Android 7.0 and OTG problems

Jeffrey Feltman

Join
Mar 10, 2018
Searching has revealed conflicting information so I am asking for assistance for my specific issues here.

Spark is flying with latest GO 4 software (4.2.4) on the devices and latest Spark firmware on both the controller and AC.
Operates flawlessly on iPhone 7.
Android phone is an Huwaei Elate (no sim installed). Tested both with wifi enabled and in airplane mode.
My procedures are identical on both the iPhone and the Android.
1. Start the controller, start the AC.
2. Wait for controller to indicate connection with the AC (green led on controller is lit).
3. with the OTG connector and cable already attached to the phone, attach the cable to the RC
4. (android only) accept the option to connect then choose DJI GO4 (one time only option) wait for DJI Go4 to open.
5. (iPhone only) decline warning that device may not work with cable. Then open DJI Go4 and wait for it to open).

On the iPhone, all data and Flight Modes are available, and the battery status and remaining power icons function normally.

On the Android, Flight modes indicate N/A and no current battery status is indicated.

I am not willing to downgrade the current Go4 app as some suggest as it works flawlessly with my Mavic Pro and it, along with my P3P are my primary drones when conducting my 107 commercial flights.

If necessary, I will restrict my Spark flying to iPhone use only, but I was able, one time, to fly the Spark with the Android device and it worked perfectly (all data and flight modes were available). My primary reason for not wanting to use the iPhone is that despite all attempts by me and DJI to resolve the SYNC function between the iPhone and the DJI Cloud have failed. A secondary reason for not wanting to choose the iPhone is that I would prefer to have it free for calls when I am in the field.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Searching has revealed conflicting information so I am asking for assistance for my specific issues here.

Spark is flying with latest GO 4 software (4.2.4) on the devices and latest Spark firmware on both the controller and AC.
Operates flawlessly on iPhone 7.
Android phone is an Huwaei Elate (no sim installed). Tested both with wifi enabled and in airplane mode.
My procedures are identical on both the iPhone and the Android.
1. Start the controller, start the AC.
2. Wait for controller to indicate connection with the AC (green led on controller is lit).
3. with the OTG connector and cable already attached to the phone, attach the cable to the RC
4. (android only) accept the option to connect then choose DJI GO4 (one time only option) wait for DJI Go4 to open.
5. (iPhone only) decline warning that device may not work with cable. Then open DJI Go4 and wait for it to open).

On the iPhone, all data and Flight Modes are available, and the battery status and remaining power icons function normally.

On the Android, Flight modes indicate N/A and no current battery status is indicated.

I am not willing to downgrade the current Go4 app as some suggest as it works flawlessly with my Mavic Pro and it, along with my P3P are my primary drones when conducting my 107 commercial flights.

If necessary, I will restrict my Spark flying to iPhone use only, but I was able, one time, to fly the Spark with the Android device and it worked perfectly (all data and flight modes were available). My primary reason for not wanting to use the iPhone is that despite all attempts by me and DJI to resolve the SYNC function between the iPhone and the DJI Cloud have failed. A secondary reason for not wanting to choose the iPhone is that I would prefer to have it free for calls when I am in the field.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

My suggestions:

1) Check the antenna orientation...make sure it's oriented per the manual in relation to the aircraft.

2) Your device is not on this compatible device list. The Elate 4G is, but if there is no sim card, your device is probably different from the one compatible.

3) Dump the OTG cable.

4) Not sure what the problem is syncing flight records with the iPhone...I've never had a problem with any of my iOS devices.

5) If you do use the iPhone, and you are concerned about people calling you during a flight, I'm pretty sure that your caller would be fine with leaving you a voice mail until your battery runs out and you're able to take a few minutes to return the call -- unless you're an on-call trauma surgeon, or something similar.

Reactions: Jeffrey Feltman
Yes, Jeffrey. You kinda answered your own question. “The iphone 7 works flawlessly”. Pretty much wraps it up. Find a good deal on another iphone. Dedicate one to flying the Spark.
I use a dedicated ipad mini 4, stripped of all unecessary apps 128gb of room, which is slight overkill but nice to have. And in my case no OTG. But thats subjective to the individual.
And have fun!

The problem has been solved ?
No, the OTG cable doesn’t work properly. Now I just WiFi to the controller. Not great but tested to 1000 ft distance and 350 ft altitude. No disconnects but marginally usable video feed. Not smooth or fast enough to do professional video. Prefer OTG with a IOS device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502