Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Android woes.

Sayg

Join
Dec 25, 2017
Loc
Bonita Springs, FL USA
First, I really love my Spark. I also fly P3S and Mavic Pro. I was having viewing trouble with phones and tablets so I got a Crystal Sky monitor. After the 4.18 update, the Sparks siginal has been,to be kind , awful. Lags, pixeling and disconnects are frequent. So, I went back to 4.15 on my NVIDIA SHIELD just to be able to fly and enjoy my Spark, and I do.
I hope DJI can address this especially as it pertains to their Crystal Sky product.
I do not plan to become an IOS owner, so maybe my fate is sealed.
Keep em flyin!

It is so disappointing to see the lack of Android development especially in regards to Crystal Sky.

My opinion: too many eggs in the basket. Phantom 4/Pro, Inspire 2,. Mavic Air/Pro, Spark all in one app. Spark, given its wifi connection, should have had its own lightweight app so that even lower end phones have more processing available to run smooth.

Reactions: Ron_Dog
It is so disappointing to see the lack of Android development especially in regards to Crystal Sky.

My opinion: too many eggs in the basket. Phantom 4/Pro, Inspire 2,. Mavic Air/Pro, Spark all in one app. Spark, given its wifi connection, should have had its own lightweight app so that even lower end phones have more processing available to run smooth.
Yes the GO4 app is way too busy! And with each update for diffrent models it dosen't get better!

I have avoided Apple products all my life... until now. I gave in and purchased a used Apple iPad Mini 4 with cellular for the GPS funtion on eBay mainly because I too had issues with my Android phone. I truly do not regret making that purchase as I now get a good bright and totally lag free flying experience. The way I looked at it was that if I had invested in my Spark then the best thing to do was invest in the device that would give me the best control. It was well worth it.

I bought an iPad for my Phantom, because it was too difficult to find a cheaper Android alternative. Since the purpose was drone work, I figured I'd save myself the hassle. I hate the way it works, but it works for flying.

But iPad is too big, defeats the portability of Spark, and I can't bring myself to buy an iPhone just to drone with. My Xperia works well enough, though I noticed that the latest app update has some issues.

The iPad Mini is the perfect size in my opinion. I could have bought a full size iPad for less money but I knew it would be too big. I bought a tablet holder for the Mini. The 9.7 inch screen gives me much better access to the settings and a much better view that the Android "Phablet" that I was using at first. Like I said... no regrets. Have you considered buying a tripod mount for your iPad? That way you could use it at eye level and have just the remote to hold. I am considering fabricating such a mount for my tablet.

I too am an Android smartphone (Pixel) and tablet (Asus) user. I would much prefer to use an Android device to fly my Spark but the available software both from DJI and third parties is typical an underwhelming experience. So I bought a used iPad mini 4 cellular (just for the GPS chip, seriously, Apple!). This combination overall works quite well.

The iPad mini 4 is the perfect size yet Apple likely won't be making any new minis. I have also looked for used iPhone Plus model but they are still a bit pricey in the used market. I do not need or want a cellular capable iPhone. However, truth be told, Go works better on an iDevice vs. Android. And I do use Autopilot which is only published for iDevices. The mini is dedicated to my Spark.

Yes, I wish there was better support for Android. But for now, flying with an iDevice is the least frustrating way to go.

I have no intention of using a tablet of any kind with the Spark. Part of its appeal to me was that I didn't need to bring additional hardware (phone is always with me). Adding an iPad, (even the mini), plus the necessary tablet adapter, therefore a bag big enough to bring all that totally negates the "always with me" size. A tripod? At that point all the convenience is gone, and I may as well use my Phantom.

I could get a used iPhone, but it seems their owners believe they are made of Northern White Rhino horn, and price them much higher than any old phone should be. Just too much for a single-use device. But at least that would fit into the bag.

I should clarify, that while the Android experience isn't as good as it should be, it works fine for what I use Spark for, and I certainly don't have many of the issues that some users report.

I have no intention of using a tablet of any kind with the Spark. Part of its appeal to me was that I didn't need to bring additional hardware (phone is always with me). Adding an iPad, (even the mini), plus the necessary tablet adapter, therefore a bag big enough to bring all that totally negates the "always with me" size. A tripod? At that point all the convenience is gone, and I may as well use my Phantom.

I could get a used iPhone, but it seems their owners believe they are made of Northern White Rhino horn, and price them much higher than any old phone should be. Just too much for a single-use device. But at least that would fit into the bag.

I should clarify, that while the Android experience isn't as good as it should be, it works fine for what I use Spark for, and I certainly don't have many of the issues that some users report.
I have the exact same feeling about using my iPad 4 Mini with my Spark! I find myself using the iPhone 7+ with it much more. I use the mini with my Mavic Pro and Inspire. With the new app update they say no OTG is needed, but I still use one, and it works fine. I like the security of flying "hard wired" in heavy WiFi use areas.

Reactions: suprPHREAK

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast