Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Another lost drone thread

Mark Brandon

Join
Apr 7, 2018
Hi board,

This is my first physical post (i have been more of a browser than anything else in the past) and sadly the first post is a "i've lost my drone" thread.

This happened last Monday, I had 2 successful flights and was on the dreaded "oh, just one more before home" and that is when disaster struck!

Basically, as i have come to expect, I had a few "poor WIFI connection" messages appear, so i adjusted the antenna which seemed to correct the problem the first 3 times it happened, on the third occasion, the drone would not re-connect with the app and initially the returning to home message was displayed, then another message to say that failed.

I pressed the return to home button on the remote and this also failed (nothing happened) and all i had on the app was a greyed out screen.

It was going dark and the car park i was in was due to close, so I had to give up for the evening, next day i went back and spent 3 hours wandering around the last known location, but to no avail (the area it was last seen is full of thick brambles and thick scrubland).

I have contacted DJI, advised them of what happened, they have looked at the logs and have basically said "we cant tell what happened as the recording / logging stopped" and things seemed fine upto that point.

From my point of view, something went wrong as the RTH did not work (even though the home point was recorded at take off) and all they will offer me is 30% off a replacement (without the remote etc - which they are giving away for free anyway at the moment!).

I have tried to attach the CSV file for the flight log, but i am told the uploaded file does not have an allowed extension - What do i need to do here?

I am more than happy to accept it was something i did wrong if someone can point that out to me, but DJI just seem to provide robot-stock answers.

Reactions: joco68
I'm a new Spark Pilot as well so I can't help really but I sympathize with your situation. As for uploading the file, maybe changing it to a .txt file would help. Otherwise you could upload it to Dropbox or Google Drive and just link the file here.

Reactions: Mark Brandon
Yep, it was heading away from me at the time, then it lost connection (and stopped logging anything).

When it lost connection, it stopped moving and it did say returning to home (which failed).

I am really confused as to why it stopped logging though, this seems very unnatural, which is why I thought dji would be more helpful.

Reactions: vmitchell85
Go here and follow the instructions. Once you get the Flight log up in the viewer, copy the URL back into a reply in this post. Then you will be able to benefit from the experience of many of us here, who have assisted in finding lost drones. Dont worry about the word Phantom, its good for all DJI products.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help

Lets see what we can do for you.

Go here and follow the instructions. Once you get the Flight log up in the viewer, copy the URL back into a reply in this post. Then you will be able to benefit from the experience of many of us here, who have assisted in finding lost drones. Dont worry about the word Phantom, its good for all DJI products.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help

Lets see what we can do for you.

That's what i did initially and got the CSV file, but here goes, a direct URL - DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I will sadly have to let you know though, I don't think finding it is going to be an option anymore as this was last week when I was away and I am now back home at the other end of the country, although any words of advice on what may have caused this to happen would be great.

Oh sorry, I missed that you used this tool.... somtimes you can get an idea of how far beyond the last coordinates it may have drifted with wind direction and speed.... I see no errors in that log... I wonder if the battery dropped out. So sorry for your loss.

Woah... didn't even think about that being possible.

I did see some posts on here (I think) where one user went out and found another user's drone after he lost it... shipped it back to him I think...

Maybe you can see if there is any Spark Pilots out there who could check it out.

I suppose its possible that the battery may have dropped but I'd be surprised as it was the 2nd flight with the battery in and its something I always check when I install it.

Sadly it's not the kind of place that anyone would walk past due to it being thick brambles and off the beaten track.

As I said I'm happy to accept it being my fault If someone could provide some reasons for this happening (battery loss seems feasible).

I would have hoped dji would be more helpful, more chance of them being able to afford a better offer of 30% than me spending best part of £400 on a replacement.

Just out of curiosity, did you have DJI Care Refresh? I'm wondering if DJI is more "helpful" to people in this situation who have bought their "insurance". Sorry for your loss...every pilots worst fear probably, even worse than a crash!

Nope, no dji refresh, that is only for recoverable drones I believe, plus at the time I missed the fact it had to be take up within 24/48 hours of registration

Sorry for your fly away... i hope you can still find it!!!

Nope, no dji refresh, that is only for recoverable drones I believe, plus at the time I missed the fact it had to be take up within 24/48 hours of registration

DJI Refresh can also be subscribed if Spark has been activated over 48 hours, more info in this page: Buy DJI Care Refresh (Spark) - DJI Store... see how in the last paragraph!

DJI Care Refresh would not apply here.
The craft would have to be recovered.
The fly-aways that DJI do cover are the flights riddled with IMU, Compass, YAW and speed errors.
They have been so common I have seen DJI replace with no recovered Spark.

However, this one was flying perfect.
Had to be battery fallout.

And a word on the RTH that cannot be emphasized enough.
You do not press to activate...you hold the RTH button until it activates.
This prevents accidental activation.

Single beep is sending the signal (Keep holding), double beep means it is activated (let go).

Wish I had remembered the RTH thing, that may have worked, although if battery fell out, that would not have either.

Dji sticking to the 'we can offer you 30% off' so I guess that's no more drone for me, as can't really afford another at the moment.

Thanks for all the comments though people.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex