Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Antenna position

Wingman8209

Join
Dec 30, 2018
What position should the antenna be in if the plan is to fly several hundred feet straight up ? Should they be laid down flat or in their normal position but tilt the controller back so they are still pointing at the Spark.

What position should the antenna be in if the plan is to fly several hundred feet straight up ? Should they be laid down flat or in their normal position but tilt the controller back so they are still pointing at the Spark.

Read the manual for proper antenna placement.

Flat side towards the Spark.

Several hundred feet??
Most areas are at 400 feet max.

Please check your local regulations before flying at that altitude, it probably is not allowed.

Fly safe.

Thanks for the response. I'm aware of the 400 foot max rule. I'm unsure at this time what the actual altitude will be but I thought 400 qualified as several so didn't specify that I was aware of the rule. But again, thanks for the response.

An antenna radiates from the sides, not the end. Also, the spark's antenna is built to receive best from the sides, not so much from the bottom. Straight up with the antennae pointing at it is the worst range you can get.

Reactions: alditenen
Flat would be my recommendation. I frequently start out this way in areas where I am not going to venture horizontally very far. You can test it by siimply starting out with them flat (so controller is face up as normal, and antennae are sticking straight out away from you, go up 100 or so, then lift up the antenae so that they are perpendicular to the controller, watch your RC signal meter. I see a variance, and find that flat is indeed better for overhead, but directly overhead should be avoided, go ahead a few meters if you can. See also

tricky question since the drone is right over head, the antennas on the spark are vertically polarized that means they are standing up not flat. the antennas on the control should be positioned the same. that works for me. or look at the signal symbol on the screen and move the controller till you get the most signal bars, just my 2 cents.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme