Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Any different ideas of things to do with your Spark?

Heckmaniac

Join
Sep 15, 2018
Trying to come up with some ideas of things to do with the Spark that are out of the ordinary. I've done distance runs, I've done scenic runs over creeks, lakes, bay's and ocean. I've done some neat video's and photo outings. What are some other fun things to do with just yourself and the Spark, or with a friend who also has a drone. A friend of mine also has a Spark and we've tried the follow me function, following one of our cars driving down a road, and also done tandem flights where one drone is 20 ft. below and 20 ft. ahead of the other drone and recorded a flight out a few thousand feet (kind of fun). We also thought about each of us being in two different locations maybe a mile apart and taking turns flying our drone to the other person and landing (have to remember turn off the auto return to home when signal is lost), as when you land, the drone will likely lose signal with the remote. Any other ideas - I'm not bored, but always fun trying new things?

I am now having an idea to make marksmanship video like in many sniper movie and games. Unfortunately, I am the marksman, and the drone operator, which make it double difficult.
Drone would fly on bullet trajectory, going to, and from the target.
The trajectory should go through narrow opening or gap, which make the video more dramatic (and also more challenging to make using a drone).
Post editing will have video backing out from the marksman to give range perceptions (the narrow opening or gap usually located near the marksman, as to conceal the marksman position). And video going to the target as "bullet point of view".
In a sniper game dramatization, camera is pointing the muzzle to capture bullet muzzle exit and later turn and follow the bullet. Unfortunately the muzzle exit would be hard to capture without high speed camera. So may be easier to directly go to "bullet point of view" by speeding up the video...
High ND filter seems required to get a smooth motion effect.

Just a few things to try:
- Try Follow Me on a big bird
- There's software that creates 3D objects from images taken from different angles. You could do something like that on big buildings or interesting sites.
- Create extreme timelapses by taking pictures from exactly the same position and height at intervals of a few hours (building sites?)

One thing I forgot which is pretty cool is flying at night using 3 anti-collision Strobon Cree strobe lights. Can see clearly as far as I can fly out (2-3 mi.) with VLOS the entire time. I attached the green and red strobes on the side of the landing gear and the white one on the rear bottom. Works perfectly for me and is a different flying experience when doing it at night (plus no sun glare on your phone screen). IMG_0036.JPGIMG_0037.PNG

I like the night idea!! Maybe a sport mode fast flight just as it starts to snow??

Too much snow in the air may act as an obstacle, affecting the sensors.

I used the Spark once to shoo away a rattle snake just feet away from were I was piloting from. My dog alerted me to the snake (constant barking).

I love the outdoors, hiking and backpacking. But I hate hate hate hate hate snakes.

I typically am hiking with my son or with firends, not with a dog. Dogs seem to be great 'early warning systems'

As close as you were hovering in the video, surprised he didn't strike at Sparky.

Last edited:
Any different ideas of things to do with your Spark?

Fly naked.

I mean, get naked and fly the Spark! Things will get really exciting when the cops show up.

;)

Something completely different..... The drone version of an Egg & Spoon race.
Plastic spoons are bent at right angles a little like Z. Then attached to the top of both Sparks with tape.
Eggs are replaced with table-tennis balls, placed on the spoons. (The “cup” of the spoons could be modified to hold the ball better).
Choose the course & race, (usual Egg & Spoon rules apply).

Something completely different..... The drone version of an Egg & Spoon race.

Sounds too risky for a mid air collision.

It's that time of year in my area for pumpkin patch fall festivals and corn mazes.

You could use the Spark for a recon mission of the corn maze, take a picture, and have a map of the maze.

For those who want to "believe", you can use the Spark for an aerial platform to help in creating crop circles. :eek:

Screenshot_20181103-065700~2.png

:cool:MIB:cool:

I've been dabbling with some 3rd party apps for waypoint missions and absolutely loving it. I have an android device, so using Drone Harmony which is free for 30 days and if I decide to keep using (which I think I will) - $29 one time charge for life for the basic package with includes being able to set up manual waypoints. Love flying missions with different well thought out angles and heights shooting smooth (almost professional) video of different scenery. Even planning a mission to fly a distance away and land at a friends house (will coordinate with him of course beforehand.

Sounds too risky for a mid air collision

If the race course is set up as 2 identical lanes a couple of meters apart, the risk is minimal. The sparks are not pretending to be fpv quads, they will be flying in a very smooth & controlled manner trying to not drop the ball. You wouldn’t want to fly near each other because the breeze from your opponent will unseat your ping pong ball.
The course can be as simple as; Starting by hovering at 1m, you must fly 25m & land on your landing pad, in the shortest possible time, with the table tennis ball.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502