Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Any ways to see your Spark better from far away?

1Joey23

Join
Jul 22, 2019
Just wondering if anyone knows ways to see your drone better from far away because most of the time I fly my spark at 165 feet in the air and 300 feet from me, I usually can’t see it that much at all. And, you have to fly your drone within the line of sight so I want to know a way to see the drone better in the sky mid day.

Cost for the items I linked above? Follow the links of interest.

This may seem overly simple, but I always fly with my prop guards on whether I need them, or not. It makes the Spark much easier to see at distance.

Reactions: Spark 317
After about 400 feet away from me and 165 feet in the air, it gets harder to see.

"Line of sight" does not mean you have to be able to see your drone. It means that you should not allow it to fly behind a structure between you and the drone. There must be nothing between you and the drone.

"Line of sight" does not mean you have to be able to see your drone. It means that you should not allow it to fly behind a structure between you and the drone. There must be nothing between you and the drone.
Ok thanks for letting me know. I thought it always meant you must be able to see your drone.

Jim. I was also under the impression that VLOS meant having to be able to actually see the drone. I am a Part 107 certified and VLOS is not addressed in that detail. I want to use your description. Do you have any references where you learned that understanding of VLOS ? Any help will be much appreciated.

Reactions: 1Joey23
One thought to keep in mind is if you cannot see your drone and you go into ATTI mode, you will need to figure out which way the drone is flying so you can bring it home. Takes practice.

Reactions: 1Joey23
Ok thanks for letting me know. I thought it always meant you must be able to see your drone.

It does.

The long distance flights that people do are flying BVLOS, breaking the rules of VLOS.

You or an observer should have eyes on the drone while flying.

It is acceptable to temporarily lose sight of the drone while looking at the telemetry or flying behind a tree but it must remain in VLOS.

This is mostly wrong.

VLOS means you must be able to see the aircraft well enough to control it without the use of artificial visual aids (aside from glasses).

Relying on FPV to control/orient the aircraft is not flying VLOS.

Artificial lights are artificial adds so they do not meet the requirements for flying VLOS.

The distance at which a PIC can fly VLOS varies depending on the size and speed of the aircraft, lighting conditions, color of the aircraft, how good the PIC’s eyesight is, and how well he can discern what the aircraft is doing relative to other objects in the area of operations.

The requirements are the same for Part 107 and recreational flying.

In any case the PIC is required to operate the aircraft within the applicable regs.

Google the UAS regs, and read and understand them all.

This is mostly wrong.

VLOS means you must be able to see the aircraft well enough to control it without the use of artificial visual aids (aside from glasses).

Relying on FPV to control/orient the aircraft is not flying VLOS.

Artificial lights are artificial adds so they do not meet the requirements for flying VLOS.

The distance at which a PIC can fly VLOS varies depending on the size and speed of the aircraft, lighting conditions, color of the aircraft, how good the PIC’s eyesight is, and how well he can discern what the aircraft is doing relative to other objects in the area of operations.

The requirements are the same for Part 107 and recreational flying.

In any case the PIC is required to operate the aircraft within the applicable regs.

Google the UAS regs, and read and understand them all.
So your saying FPV pilots are flying illegally every time they fly because they fly with FPV goggles? Try to explain this better as it makes no sense. I thought you can also relay on the goggles for sight and also the video feed from the camera.

So your saying FPV pilots are flying illegally every time they fly because they fly with FPV goggles? Try to explain this better as it makes no sense. I thought you can also relay on the goggles for sight and also the video feed from the camera.

If the pilot is flying solo, yes, because he/she can't see the drone with their eyes.
If the pilot has a spotter, then no.

If flying inside a building, the FAA doesn't control the air space so the VLOS rule doesn't apply and won't need a spotter, other than to help find a crashed drone in the building.

VLOS means your eyeballs with the aid of corrective lens such as contacts or glasses.

No binoculars, external cameras on tripods, or on board camera.
The VO must be close enough for verbal communication with the PIC.
A two way radio is not acceptable.

I didn’t say that, but if the PIC is flying FPV in the USA without an observer who has VLOS with the drone, or the PIC is flying recklessly (perhaps by not knowing the regs), then the PIC is breaking current laws and subject to whatever consequences that implies - every time.

Read the regs - no body should have to read them for you.

Last edited:
When flying in the US, you must keep your drone within the visual line of sight (VLOS) of the person operating the drone or within the visual line of sight of a visual observer (VO) who is near the operator and able to communicate verbally. See more details here:

Reactions: RotorWash
I'm surprised that you can't see it further away than 300-400 ft. Unless you are flying into the sun, you should be able to see it a lot further than that even at higher altitudes.

I have a strobe, but it doesn't help with visibility during the day.

Reactions: Spark 317

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe