Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Apple IPad 5th gen 32gb tablets on sale at Best Buy for $279

In case anyone was looking, Best Buy is selling out the remaining stock of 5th gen IPads for $279. I bought one because it has built-in GPS, and the new IPad does not.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...b4&gclid=CIHg35uVmtoCFcLefgody8cB5g&gclsrc=ds

I do not believe the 5th gen WiFi only iPad has built in GPS. My understanding is that only iPads with cellular chips have built in GPS. That's one reason I bought a used cellular iPad mini 4; for the GPS chip. It's a shame that Apple chooses not to include a real GPS chip in their WiFi iPads. I would love to be wrong on this point.

Reactions: suprPHREAK
I do not believe the 5th gen WiFi only iPad has built in GPS. My understanding is that only iPads with cellular chips have built in GPS. That's one reason I bought a used cellular iPad mini 4; for the GPS chip. It's a shame that Apple chooses not to include a real GPS chip in their WiFi iPads. I would love to be wrong on this point.

It's in the specs. GPS Enabled.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180401-220305.jpg
    Screenshot_20180401-220305.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 31
I clicked the link, went to B.B., glanced at first, then LOOKED and I did see it stated, GPS enabled = Yes.

Unless Best Buy is in error?

It looks like you purchased the iPad. Have you confirmed that it indeed does have a GPS chip? According to the Apple specs, iPad (5th generation) - Technical Specifications, only the WiFi with Cellular has it.

There is a lot of conflicting information when Google'ing this topic. ;)

Agreed. The iPad I bought does seem to have GPS. I have the map in the corner when I fly, and it shows the street names. I'm flying OTG with WiFi disabled. I assume this means it has GPS. This is my first Apple product, so I'm not an expert. When I set it up, it did ask me about sharing locations.

Is there another way to tell?

Agreed. The iPad I bought does seem to have GPS. I have the map in the corner when I fly, and it shows the street names. I'm flying OTG with WiFi disabled. I assume this means it has GPS. This is my first Apple product, so I'm not an expert. When I set it up, it did ask me about sharing locations.

Is there another way to tell?
iPads that are WiFi only do not have GPS. iPad (5th generation) - Technical Specifications

Ok, so I'm confused about the advantages of having an iPad with GPS versus one without GPS for flying the Spark, can someone explain?

Ok, so I'm confused about the advantages of having an iPad with GPS versus one without GPS for flying the Spark, can someone explain?

For other DJI drones, there are other advantages such as being able to use GPS dependent functions like dynamic home point and Follow Me mode. Note that these functions do not require cellular service to be active on the iPad.

On the Spark, the only real advantage is to be able to have the maps update on a live basis in the app. (Note this is a function of having the cellular service active not a function of the device having a GPS receiver. per se.)

But with the iPad, you can easily cache the maps in advance when you are connected to the internet via WiFi.

Reactions: Rafa7
For other DJI drones, there are other advantages such as being able to use GPS dependent functions like dynamic home point and Follow Me mode. Note that these functions do not require cellular service to be active on the iPad.

On the Spark, the only real advantage is to be able to have the maps update on a live basis in the app. (Note this is a function of having the cellular service active not a function of the device having a GPS receiver. per se.)

But with the iPad, you can easily cache the maps in advance when you are connected to the internet via WiFi.
Thanks.
If I move from my start up home point location, would I also be able to set my new location (controller/iPad) as home point since it now has GPS?

Thanks.
If I move from my start up home point location, would I also be able to set my new location (controller/iPad) as home point since it now has GPS?
The Spark does not support Dynamic Home Point.

On other DJI drones that do support Dynamic Home Point, you would need a mobile device that has a GPS receiver in it such as a cellular iPad or a smartphone/iPhone.

The Spark does not support Dynamic Home Point.

On other DJI drones that do support Dynamic Home Point, you would need a mobile device that has a GPS receiver in it such as a cellular iPad or a smartphone/iPhone.

Ok, got it. If there was an advantage to having GPS on my phone/tablet then I will consider upgrading my iPad mini 4. Thanks.

I have a non-cellular, wifi-only iPad Air 2 that does not have GPS. I'm using DJI Go 4.2.8. At least on my iPad and the 4.2.8 version of Go, there is no obvious way to cache maps, meaning I do not have access to maps while in the field. I can view a map in DJI Go while connected to my home network, but the map vanishes when I connect to the Spark remote wifi. Am I missing something here, or is this just the way it works with wifi-only iPads on the latest version of DJI Go?

On the other hand, the map does cache on my Android phone running DJI GO 4.2.8 and is available in the field.

I have a non-cellular, wifi-only iPad Air 2 that does not have GPS. I'm using DJI Go 4.2.8. At least on my iPad and the 4.2.8 version of Go, there is no obvious way to cache maps, meaning I do not have access to maps while in the field. I can view a map in DJI Go while connected to my home network, but the map vanishes when I connect to the Spark remote wifi. Am I missing something here, or is this just the way it works with wifi-only iPads on the latest version of DJI Go?

On the other hand, the map does cache on my Android phone running DJI GO 4.2.8 and is available in the field.
On an iPad, just open the app while you are fully connected to the internet and pan the map around the area where you will be flying and the maps will cache.

Ouch, Beachcoming, you're right. I tried my iPad again today and the map worked perfectly. I swear it was blank when I tried using the iPad a couple of times last week. So now I have all sorts of options for flying. Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef