Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Are FPV Goggles legal?

Doc

Join
Aug 18, 2018
Just Curious: Doesn't wearing FPV Goggles without a spotter violate the mandatory FAA VLOS (Visual Line of Sight ) Regulation?

Update 11/09/2018: I have amended the original question to clarify my concern as to the scenario of "without a spotter."
I appreciate the very timely, well-informed and well-intended replies. Albeit an old question, still a ripe issue, especially with changing regs and enforcement. Kudos to this Forum.

Last edited:
I do not now about the US, but in most countries it is indeed mandatory to have a spotter by your side who watches the drone while you are flying with FPV goggles

Great question and it brings up an interesting topic. Both the old and new FAA regulations are incomplete, contradictory, unclear and largely unenforceable in any consistent way.

Unfortunately I don't believe anybody can answer your question definitively for several reasons:

1. There are literally dozens and dozens of scenarios that are not addressed specifically by the FAA regulations ( I can't find any mention of FPV goggles).

2. Most of the FAA regulations are so vague that there are a myriad of reasonable interpretations (use of spotters for example). Furthermore, there is no way to efficiently query the FAA for clarification.

3. The regs are only sporadically enforced so there is very little case law to serve as legal precedent. Much of the regs are untested and serve only as deterrent.

This leads to most answers on forums to be opinion or speculation - I've tried hard to stick to facts. It's really a great example of technology outpacing government response.

All you can do is follow the regs the best you can and always err on the side of safety. The unfortunate pilot involved in an incident will find nothing in the regs (or this forum) with which to defend himself. It's really a mess.

My opinion for what it's worth: FPV goggles tend to increase the risk of crashes. Even with experienced pilots you need to start a whole new learning curve. You lose some of your situational awareness and become immersed only in what's directly in front of you. A spotter helps but it's still a compromised situation. Fun but risky.

Reactions: Richard Ruckert
Great question and it brings up an interesting topic. Both the old and new FAA regulations are incomplete, contradictory, unclear and largely unenforceable in any consistent way.

Unfortunately I don't believe anybody can answer your question definitively for several reasons:

1. There are literally dozens and dozens of scenarios that are not addressed specifically by the FAA regulations ( I can't find any mention of FPV goggles).

2. Most of the FAA regulations are so vague that there are a myriad of reasonable interpretations (use of spotters for example). Furthermore, there is no way to efficiently query the FAA for clarification.

3. The regs are only sporadically enforced so there is very little case law to serve as legal precedent. Much of the regs are untested and serve only as deterrent.

This leads to most answers on forums to be opinion or speculation - I've tried hard to stick to facts. It's really a great example of technology outpacing government response.

All you can do is follow the regs the best you can and always err on the side of safety. The unfortunate pilot involved in an incident will find nothing in the regs (or this forum) with which to defend himself. It's really a mess.

My opinion for what it's worth: FPV goggles tend to increase the risk of crashes. Even with experienced pilots you need to start a whole new learning curve. You lose some of your situational awareness and become immersed only in what's directly in front of you. A spotter helps but it's still a compromised situation. Fun but risky.
This is a really old subject for drone discussions. FPV is a skill that is less likely to cause crashes once learned.
The beauty of learning to fly FPV with a quad like Spark is you can stop and check the situation LOS. Then keep going or RTH, whatever.
If you are a pure photographer you will still get better imaging this way but reversing ie leading camera footage is best done LOS.
The USA has a mass shooting every week or so but no one has ever been killed by a civilian drone. As a global statistic that's amazingly safe. Peanuts are more dangerous.
Happy FPVing!

Reactions: Simonsb
DJI googles = illegal in Canada as they clearly violate the recreational drone laws stating must maintain clear line of sight at all times....

Only legal opinion as suggested above = Epson BT-300 = $899 Canadian on Amazon.ca....

Just Curious: Doesn't wearing FPV Goggles violate the mandatory FAA VLOS (Visual Line of Sight ) Regulation?
I tend to agree with Andre Levite. However, given the short battery life of the Spark, it's hard to say whether or not the goggles are worth it. With Mavic Pro, the goggles are sooooo worth it.

Reactions: Ulf_Melin
Did you know skateboards are an illegal vehicle in most western countries because they don't have any breaking. You're children mostly likely own and use these lethal vehicles.
The answer to this very old question is "you can but you need a spotter ".

Most of drones regulations are stupid and not logical. I hope this paranoia about drones to calm down in near future, as they will become very common flying objects in our airspace.

Goggles are fun to use, and safe enough also.
But in most countries, a spotter is required (if the operator is using goggles).

Of course, we don't violate the "VLOS rule", if we operate the drone and someone else is using goggles.

Reactions: Hotwire

Appreciate your thorough analysis. (Lawyer? Pilot?)

Most of drones regulations are stupid and not logical. I hope this paranoia about drones to calm down in near future, as they will become very common flying objects in our airspace.

Goggles are fun to use, and safe enough also.
But in most countries, a spotter is required (if the operator is using goggles).

Of course, we don't violate the "VLOS rule", if we operate the drone and someone else is using goggles.
True!

This is a really old subject for drone discussions. FPV is a skill that is less likely to cause crashes once learned.
The beauty of learning to fly FPV with a quad like Spark is you can stop and check the situation LOS. Then keep going or RTH, whatever.
If you are a pure photographer you will still get better imaging this way but reversing ie leading camera footage is best done LOS.
The USA has a mass shooting every week or so but no one has ever been killed by a civilian drone. As a global statistic that's amazingly safe. Peanuts are more dangerous.
Happy FPVing!

There was one
https://nypost.com/2013/09/05/man-decapitated-by-remote-controlled-toy-helicopter/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex