Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Battery saving

mattitech07

Join
Mar 30, 2019
Hi,I was planning to go on an island that is 900m far.I wanted to know if there were some tips for saving the battery life so I can stay longer out there

If you fly lower you will conquer lighter wind so you end up saving energy. Also be gentle on the sticks , to conserve energy too (spark will not brake and accelerate rapidly)

If you fly lower you will conquer lighter wind so you end up saving energy. Also be gentle on the sticks , to conserve energy too (spark will not brake and accelerate rapidly)
To go there I'll have to fly 50m above the sea. Is it low enough?

To go there I'll have to fly 50m above the sea. Is it low enough?
Low as you can get safely friend. There is a chance there will be no wind so it will make no sense to fly lower than you want/need. But if you Battle head in wind , flying lower make a huge difference.

Low as you can get safely friend. There is a chance there will be no wind so it will make no sense to fly lower than you want/need. But if you Battle head in wind , flying lower make a huge difference.
I went there before, I was in sport mode and I have been on the top of the Island for around 5mins and then I returned with 40%(1 min before the rth warning). The next time should I try to go in normal mode with sensors off to go a little bit faster?

The next time should I try to go in normal mode with sensors off to go a little bit faster?

My opinion is No.

Fly to and from your subject in Sport mode for more photo time.

The Spark will tilt slightly, giving the props more bite in the wind when flying in Sport mode.

Look for an app in the app store called Windy.com.

Here's a PC link.

It will show an active wind pattern over your location to help determine if the direction is suitable for flight.

It's best to fly into the wind so that you'll have a tail wind on the return trip to get the Spark home faster if the battery is low.

Good luck. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: mattitech07
My opinion is No.

Fly to and from your subject in Sport mode for more photo time.

The Spark will tilt slightly, giving the props more bite in the wind when flying in Sport mode.

Look for an app in the app store called Windy.com.

Here's a PC link.

It will show an active wind pattern over your location to help determine if the direction is suitable for flight.

It's best to fly into the wind so that you'll have a tail wind on the return trip to get the Spark home faster if the battery is low.

Good luck. ?
I think that in sport the spark give less power to the rear engines so it is more aggressive torwards the wind

Just as a point of reference, the longest flight with my spark was 4146 feet distance out. 9141 total. That flight was basically straight out and return with a climb to 385 feet. Max winds were 8kts and basically a crosswind. The altitude on that day didn't have much effect on the wind. The flight was 8 minutes and 46 seconds and it landed with 38% battery. At that distance the signal is iffy so camera work is difficult. but that could give you an idea of how much time you are going to have for video. On this particular day the temp was 59 degrees and max battery temp was only 104.. That's pretty low so I think I was getting optimum performance. I think you're going to have to use sport mode for quite a bit of the flight because the spark is so slow in P mode. I always use it outbound and return but I keep a close watch on the battery and would probably land rather than stretch it. You are going to have no options over the water.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef