Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Before a Spark Pilot

pmshop

Spark Pilot Guru
Premium Pilot
Join
Oct 6, 2017
Loc
Fredericksburg, Texas, USA
Web
www.youtube.com
Before I was a Spark pilot, I flew Syma X5C and X8C.
Then I jumped to a Cheerson CX-20 but lost it.
I also lost one of the three X8C I had as well.
Then with some electrical component failures of the second CX-20 I got, I started building my own craft.
Starting with a 450 quad.
After the 450 was deemed "stable" for auto missions, I sent it out one early morning June 23, 2017.
It never came back.

I mapped out where it may have gone and asked property owner if I could take a walk about their flats.
Nothing turned up.

But about 18 months later (yesterday) a man approached me in the post office "Were you that guy that lost a drone and came out to look?"
I said yes and he said his grandson found it 6 months ago but he lost my contact info.

Total loss...
20181219_214708718_iOS.jpg
Except for the camera Micro SDcard:

It caught on fire in a cedar thicket but did not ignite the surroundings.
Lucky...all the way around...

Bittersweet... but better than never knowing. Did you have video of the crash and burn? Was kinda looking forward to that (Ya, I am sick puppy!).... its all part of the experience. I have lost my XS809HW twice already, crashed both times, no damage... lucky!

Reactions: pmshop
Then with some electrical component failures of the second CX-20 I got, I started building my own craft.
After the 450 was deemed "stable" for auto missions, I sent it out one early morning June 23, 2017.
It never came back.

I mapped out where it may have gone and asked property owner if I could take a walk about their flats.
Nothing turned up.

But about 18 months later (yesterday) a man approached me in the post office "Were you that guy that lost a drone and came out to look?"
I said yes and he said his grandson found it 6 months ago but he lost my contact info.

Total loss...
View attachment 7976

How far out was it out from you when it flew away?

I was hoping to see it fail, did you figure out what went wrong? At least you know where it is now, even if that is in the trash.

To answer all:
I was using the XiaoMi Yi camera, notorious for not capturing the last 30 seconds of a video if there is a camera power failure - battery knocked out of camera on crash.
The video was so damaged I had to use Remo Repair MOV 2.0 to recover.
Of all things the land owner left the drone in place for me to examine and I forgot to get a GPS snap of the location.
But best guess using Google Maps, 1.15 miles (1.85km) away from take off point.
The main concern was I sent the drone out too low on the pre programmed course.
That was not the case.
So the closest I can figure was prop failure/ loose prop - power failure or ESC failure that started the onboard fire.
The battery was knocked out of the center of the craft and was burned all in one piece, no "puffing" - all the internal foils were even & level as the original rectangular shape.

So indeed the mystery of did it hit the trees has been replaced with why did it catch fire?

It never came back.

Nothing turned up.

Total loss...
View attachment 7976

Cool Vid,, good music too!

What a mess.:eek: I guess that there are no salvageable parts even though the motors look somewhat intact. Sorry that happend to you as I am sure you put a lot of work into that drone.

Reactions: pmshop

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis