Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Both Sparky’s & My 1st First Flight

Northern Bob

Join
Feb 8, 2019
Loc
Saint Lazare, Quebec
Sigh, well you gotta start at the bottom and work your way up. I’m almost too embarrassed to show you this clip. But it’s my first flight.
This was the first break in the weather I could fly so went to a local quarry. Lighting was dull & I was concentrating on learning how Spark handled. One thing I discovered... think I’ll leave sport mode alone for a while (grin).

Congrats! Choosing a wide open space like this is a wise starting point! I considered not crashing on my first flight in an empty parking lot to being a major accomplishment. Looking forward to seeing video #2!

Reactions: pmshop
Make sure you always have GPS lock and home point recorded while hovering just above take-off point. Don't be in too much of a hurry to jump into sport mode. That's where a lot of the compass/yaw errors come from. Just ask JJB*.

Thanks folks. I know the rule of thirds but wasn’t thinking photographically. More concerned with getting familiar with the controls and response lag.
I took off from a soccer pitch next to the quarry and when I brought her back I decided to try sports mode.

I quickly learned that I needed more fly time before going that route again. And that soccer fields can seem awfully small in sports mode at 15 feet (grin).
NB

Reactions: pmshop and dudez
Not a bad start at all. Thumbs up. Nothing to worry about Sports mode too. Just go easy on the right stick. I find P-mode too slow. You can easily maintain a speed of 15-25kmph in Sports mode by pressing the right stick very lightly and I feel that gives the best moving shots. Do not yaw or roll in Sports mode. Move either forward or backward. Just make sure you maintain a good altitude to clear all obstacles on the way.

Last edited:
Nice work and a successful first flight. You’ve beaten me to a vid post-I haven’t done one yet. I’ve shot tons of footage and edited a bit but not “published”. Will have to have a bash.

Well, my footage is certainly nothing special except it was our first flight. Purely as a photographer I would not be shooting in that type of light.
Also, I’m much more of a stills photographer than a cinematographer. That’s why I’m already saving up for a Mavic 2 Pro. Gotta have that 1” square Hassleblad sensor cam.

As you can see, I suffer G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) like most others.
NB

Sigh, well you gotta start at the bottom and work your way up. I’m almost too embarrassed to show you this clip. But it’s my first flight.
This was the first break in the weather I could fly so went to a local quarry. Lighting was dull & I was concentrating on learning how Spark handled. One thing I discovered... think I’ll leave sport mode alone for a while (grin).

Hi well done, I know the feeling.
Where did you get the music from, did you use iMovie ?
I’m trying to find a royalty free music site for vid music ?

Started editing in iMovie but decided to investigate LumaFusion as it’s a lot more powerful. Still don’t quit understand this complicated app but will spend the time to learn it. Much more professional oriented, but a steep learning curve (and price)

But if I’m going to get into serious iPhone video editing, it’s worth the investment.
NB

Welcome to Spark fun my friend, That wasn't a bad first flight TBH, Well done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leahandran