Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Breaking the law.... Or not.

Lastrexking

Join
Jun 2, 2017
Loc
Yorkshire
Do we have to turn every thread in the video and photos section into a bashing the law over people’s head sessions? We have a whole section of the forum for that.

Sure, some people aren’t aware of the laws - but the way they’re told they’re flying illegally (possibly) could be done in a much nicer way. Maybe send them a private message rather than embarrassing them in front of the whole community.

I don’t want other people to flaunt the rules and ruin it for everyone else - but, I manage to mind my own business.

There are instances of more than one person jumping on to the 'offender'. There are instances where people have been told they’re flying illegally, when it’s quite possible they’re not.

This (in my opinion) isn’t helpful, or welcoming to this generally helpful forum.

We don't. But it is important to ensure people are flying safely. I think if the vid is good, and looks like it didn't take stupid risks, leave it be.

If it shows blatantly dangerous flying, or stuff that lawmakers are currently about to legislate against, we need to call it out.

Why? If lawmakers see the community self-policing, there is less drive to get real police involved.

I think what should also be taken into consideration is that this is an international forum. Current drone legislation varies wildly from country to country and often internally by region. What is illegal in one place is not in another and vice versa. As a Brit living in England I watch some drone videos from the USA in horror, knowing they contravene several of our drone code rules (we're still awaiting full legislation) but then I stop and realise those rules don't apply outside our borders. I have not personally seen any of the more extreme cases of 'law bashing', as outlined by @Lastrexking above, I would echo his plea for more consideration and understanding before condemning anyone for their drone activities.

If it shows blatantly dangerous flying, or stuff that lawmakers are currently about to legislate against, we need to call it out.

Do we have to do it in front of the whole community though? To me it looks like a case of puffing up our own ego. Why not just send a private message and save embarrassing someone that may be new to the hobby? That's the kind thing to do.

Do we have to do it in front of the whole community though? To me it looks like a case of puffing up our own ego. Why not just send a private message and save embarrassing someone that may be new to the hobby? That's the kind thing to do.
Not about puffing ones ego. I guess one could say spanking a child for runing out into the street is unkind and possibly embarrasing for the child also. It's gotta sink in.

Do we have to do it in front of the whole community though?
Yeah because the "public shaming" precisely has a bit more chance to have an effect, if you just nicely say it privately almost nobody will care, just delete saying "whatever, I do what I want".
If you can't post a (stupid) video without being ripped then you might realise it's stupid and stop doing it (dreaming a bit here) or at least stop posting it, which stops encouraging others (who are also put off by the ripping) to do the same.

To me it looks like a case of puffing up our own ego.
I see it the other way - that "puffing their own ego" is the reason people post this kind of videos. It's always more exciting/successful to post stuff other people who follow the rules can't get... unless people call you out on it and null it.
Good example with the guy who keeps posting his videos with "ILLEGAL??!?" clickbait titles to try and get more views.

Last edited:
IMO, we, the AP drone flying hobbyists need to police ourselves. If we make and post videos that are done "illegally", it only opens us up to public scrutiny and possible new laws or rules further limiting where we can fly.

With that said there are tactful ways to say this. OR the person posting can comment that the images/videos were captured legally. Whether or not its true is dependent on the "poster".

Reactions: Lamplighter55
I must admit sometimes I find it a little excessive and also inconsistent. Some poor guy got nailed for flying over a bridge with one person on it the other day, and a week prior someone flew over a church and a town centre for what seemed like 20 minutes and people just talked about the bus route it was on. I also find the people who take it to extremes, misinterpret the rules or as lastrexking said, massage their ego by quoting a load of regulations.

There was another great example on the Mavic Pro forum earlier in the year, some guy lost his drone the other side of a cathedral spire in Cologne and he received full support, not a mention that it was a darn silly place to fly.

Perhaps a polite comment to say "I assume you judged that was safe to fly based on local regulations and your knowledge of the local area" etc.

Last edited:
Oh, forgot to mention: if the poster uses a clickbait title like "ILLEGAL??!?!?" then open season on that guy. He knows he is breaking the law, let him have it.

Reactions: Scobo and RichardA
In Denmark where I live we have very strict rules for flying drones. It is almost impossible to find an interesting place Where you can fly legally. I have now given up and sold my P4 and Mavic Pro.
I will keep my Spark aground if I feel like flying.

Last August I was in Italy I think drone flying is not allowed in Italy
Well in Genova I asked a group of police who were there for security and they allowed me to fly
The spark is so small that most don't mind

The spark is small alright, but it doesnt stop dog walkers commenting abuse at me as i mind my own business flying in an area that the local police have suggested that i fly, some of the names I had to look up in a dictionary.

Years ago me and some friends got band by the coucnil for slope soaring at a local beach. Foam gliders were new and people kept threatening us, going nuts over how dangerous it was. These days no one even comments. Its all about people and change. Once the population gets use to these thing they move on to other phobias. The council signes got old and rusted away (NO REMOTE CONTROLLED PLANE). Its still illegal to fly there but no one cares anymore.
The archives are full of redundant rules that are still legally active but no one ever inforces them or even know they exist. There are actually rules in our state for walking on the correct side of the foot path but no one has been find in over 100 years.
Did you know in England only protestants can legally carry a gun. True. English bill of rights 1689.

Reactions: cduque
true story..
couple of years ago, southern uk, an old lady who lives on her own was watching a group of us fly our electric model planes 400 yards away with her binoculars..she called the police, complaining we were noisy, and wanted us ejected from the overgrown wasteland that we were on.
Two police officers pulled up to us and told us about the lady complaining about noise, even tho they could not hear anything from her house even when we were flying ! the officers were really interested in the models and equipment so much so that they asked to have a go with a slowflyer that was airborne it was great.
wonder what the lady was thinking as she watched via her binoculars at the two officers she thought would clear us off , were joining in on the fun.!!!!

true story..
couple of years ago, southern uk, an old lady who lives on her own was watching a group of us fly our electric model planes 400 yards away with her binoculars..she called the police, complaining we were noisy, and wanted us ejected from the overgrown wasteland that we were on.
Two police officers pulled up to us and told us about the lady complaining about noise, even tho they could not hear anything from her house even when we were flying ! the officers were really interested in the models and equipment so much so that they asked to have a go with a slowflyer that was airborne it was great.
wonder what the lady was thinking as she watched via her binoculars at the two officers she thought would clear us off , were joining in on the fun.!!!!
She just has a sad worthless life, serves her right.

The spark is small alright, but it doesnt stop dog walkers commenting abuse at me as i mind my own business flying in an area that the local police have suggested that i fly, some of the names I had to look up in a dictionary.

Really? Move to Yorkshire. A lady walking her dog suggested I tied a ball to my Spark for my dogs to chase. Apparently her husband does it with his Phantom.

Shows not all police are fun-police or old people grumps. : )
One day the police were called when my friend (Alex) was flying at the banned beach. The old grump who had complained and he went out to make sure the copper gave Alex a ticket. After some discussion the copper told the old guy he was the nuisance and go to home.
I say DON'T LET SH!T-HEADS WIN , keep on flying.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena