Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Can someone please explain the UK 5.8 GHz problem?

Gavieboydgi

Premium Pilot
Join
Mar 3, 2018
I have a Samsung S8 and I'm upgrading to the S10 next week and both mobiles say they do WiFi 2.4 and 5.8 GHz but when I use it with the Spark the connection is always stuck in 5.8 GHz and if my spark ever goes into 2.4 the connection is absolutely horrible it's about a 2 second delay.
And can I ask when you see 5.8 at the top of the screen is that the connection from the RC to the spark or is that the WiFi from my phone to the rc.? It's always confused me that has. Thanks .

The band you see on screen, is for rc-spark connection.

The second band is used for rc-device connection.

You can manually switch between channels in the WiFi settings on the app. 2.4Ghz is the lower end of the channels (1-13 in Europe) and 5,8Ghz is the higher channels (50+). The height of the bars is noise and interference so you will want to pick the smallest bar. Normally 5.8Ghz is more stable and stronger at short distances whilst 2.4 can allow you to fly your spark further.

To answer your question though - DJI would prefer people to fly their drones within FOV and within say 100m in an open space so naturally, 5.8Ghz would ensure a more stable and solid connection.

You can manually switch between channels in the WiFi settings on the app. 2.4Ghz is the lower end of the channels (1-13 in Europe) and 5,8Ghz is the higher channels (50+). The height of the bars is noise and interference so you will want to pick the smallest bar. Normally 5.8Ghz is more stable and stronger at short distances whilst 2.4 can allow you to fly your spark further.

To answer your question though - DJI would prefer people to fly their drones within FOV and within say 100m in an open space so naturally, 5.8Ghz would ensure a more stable and solid connection.
Thanks.

So basically my spark is stuck in 5.8 ghZ RC to Spark because I'm in Europe and using Android, even tho my specs say my s8 does the 5.8ghz it won't let it?

I just don't understand why when I switch my home router to 5.8 GHz my Samsung connect's to it so my European s8 does work that band, but as soon as I try to use 5.8 on spark WiFi from phone to r.c it does not like it and the video feed is unusable.

I tested using the iPhone and that is perfect on both bands you see the band's changing at the top and video downlink is solid on 2.4 GHz on RC to Spark.
But if I try it on my Samsung s8 which it says it does 5.8 GHz the RC to Spark is stuck in 5.8 and never uses 2.4.

I use almost every time my iPhone with spark, and it is stuck in 5.8, as well.

I can only choose 2.4g manually.

I'm in Greece, and fly my spark using forced FCC mode, otherwise spark is limited in 200-250 meters max.
5.8g is one reason of this.

Using my iPhone with spark in FCC mode, did the trick for me.
I have no issues, and no need for an otg cable.

I'm in Greece, and fly my spark using forced FCC mode, otherwise spark is limited in 200-250 meters max.

I figured out why my Samsung galaxy S8 wouldn't for some reason use the 5.8 GHz band so the RC to Spark would use the 2.4 GHz .

I did a update last night to Android pie and Samsung one update and now my s8 is letting me use both bands now the go 4 app resets when I choose a 2.4 or 5.8 band, before it would only reset for 5.8 band. Really weird.

Took the spark to test it and everything works now even in auto my band is switching at the top of the screen when I get further away, before it was stuck just using 5.8 for RC to Spark.

Mine wouldn't even let me choose 2.4 GHz manually or auto it was stuck just using 5.8 RC to Spark and the phone to RC always in 2.4 so I couldn't use the long distance 2.4 band for RC to Spark on my s8 for some reason.
But I did a update yesterday to pie and now my s8 lets me [emoji16]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmirOmerov