Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Using 5.8 GHz losing connection

Roger S

Join
Apr 6, 2018
After losing my 1st 2 sparks to flyaways in the mountains where I live. I bought refurbished unit and decided to fly somewhere else for a while. In the mountains I've flown over 1 mile with no connection loss unless hills or trees got in the way. I've now flown the new bird in 3 different locations and in each case had connection loss within a few hundred feet with clear line of sight. At first I thought I might have a defective unit until I noticed that it was using the 5.8 GHz band. My understanding that 2.4 Ghz has longer range, but is more susceptible to interference. Is the Spark using 5.8 GHz because the populated areas are more prone to interference than my mountain home or is something else going on?

2.4Ghz have a little higher range but the 5.8Ghz
have more "penetration" through obstacles, and
is safer, especially in urban area.
I always use the same channel on 5.8Ghz, did reach
1 km a few times and almost 1.5 km with the range-
extender "cans" on the antennas before beginning to
loose video feed.
There's lot of videos on Utube where guys test and
push the limit on both band.
Did you try on 2.4Ghz to test the range ?

Normally it defaults to 5.8 so that's probably what you were using with your first two Sparks. WiFi is very prone to interference/blockage though so range will vary a lot based on your environment. 2.4 will give better range than 5.8 if there are no obstacles whatsoever but will fail very quickly if the LOS is obstructed.

I've recently moved to the Mavic and it's stunning how much comfort Ocusync brings, basically it will fly through entire forests for 1+km (even if you're back to it) without a hiccup, night and day with the Spark.

I've never messed with frequency setting. Isn't that set automatically by default? dji Go warns against setting manually. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with this spark that's causing it to use 2.4 GHz

You should reset the WiFi to see what happens. If memory serves it's a 9 second long press ?

On a previous post I stated a big problem with 5.8, I was normally on 2.4 but for some reason it changed to 5.8. to make a long story short The AC would loose communication sometimes only a few yards away. Never a problem with 2.4. I can only assume it switched because of traffic on 2.4. I changed it manually and things were fine.

On a previous post I stated a big problem with 5.8, I was normally on 2.4 but for some reason it changed to 5.8. to make a long story short The AC would loose communication sometimes only a few yards away. Never a problem with 2.4. I can only assume it switched because of traffic on 2.4. I changed it manually and things were fine.
I have only the 2.4G and the bird does not pass 250m !!
why is that ?? it is open area (desert) , and in ~250m it return home.
pls advise
thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex