Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Cannot get Spark to take off

RandyH

Join
Mar 3, 2018
Hi, this is my first post. I've been trying for two days to get the Spark to fly, with no luck. I finally got it registered with DJI, and named, but then I had all sorts of problems updating the firmware - it would keep sticking at 99%. Now it says 'latest firmware', but when I go into the Go4 app, it says 'aircraft locked'. The Go4 app wants me to scan the Q code, but that never works, so then it says I should 'connect to aircraft', but when I look at my tablet's wi-fi, I can never see the Spark appear on the list, only the controller. The Spark and controller are definitely paired, BTW.

I keep wondering if this has anything to do with my internet access. I use a Nexus 7, which has no Internet connection, so if I want the Internet, I have to find a wi-fi hotspot. I noticed that when I was updating the firmware, whenever I connected the controller to the hotspot, I'd get 'connected - no Internet', and then the connection to the wi-fi hotspot would change from 'connected' to 'saved' and if I re-established the connection to the hotspot, the controller would disconnect. I'm not sure if you have to have connection to the controller and the Internet simultaneously.

This morning I really thought I'd cracked it, because it seemed the only thing stopping it from taking off was a compass error. I then calibrated the compass, which was successful, but still no joy. I even got the announcement 'your home point has been updated - please check it on the map'. But now it's 'aircraft locked', the app tells me to connect to the aircraft but it won't appear on the wi-fi list.

I honestly wish I'd never bought the thing.

Hello from the Mid-West.

The Go4 app wants me to scan the Q code, but that never works, so then it says I should 'connect to aircraft', but when I look at my tablet's wi-fi, I can never see the Spark appear on the list, only the controller. The Spark and controller are definitely paired, BTW.

I don't think anybody has had any success with scanning the QR code. Type it in manually.

The controller WiFi you see is the Spark. Click it and you should connect. You may get a message about "No internet connection" which is normal.

I'm not sure if you have to have connection to the controller and the Internet simultaneously.

No, you are not connected to both at the same time. Whenever an update comes along, I've learned that it's a procedure for me to switch between WiFi's since I've never used the Assistant 2 software.

Home WiFi to download updates.
Spark WiFi to install them.

Nah, your going to love it once you get it figured out.

The Simulator is great place to start and practice flying on rainy days.

Welcome to the Forum.
Fly safe :).

Reactions: Hddeuce03
when I go into the Go4 app, it says 'aircraft locked'
Here are a few things to try:
  • Update the "Precise Fly Safe Database" if DJI GO prompts you to do so when you start DJI GO.

• Log out of your DJI account in DJI GO and log back in.

DJI-GO-Login-How-To-Logout.jpg

• Reinstall the firmware using the DJI Assistant 2 application. If needed, you can find detailed Spark firmware installation instructions here.

Hi, this is my first post. I've been trying for two days to get the Spark to fly, with no luck. I finally got it registered with DJI, and named, but then I had all sorts of problems updating the firmware - it would keep sticking at 99%. Now it says 'latest firmware', but when I go into the Go4 app, it says 'aircraft locked'. The Go4 app wants me to scan the Q code, but that never works, so then it says I should 'connect to aircraft', but when I look at my tablet's wi-fi, I can never see the Spark appear on the list, only the controller. The Spark and controller are definitely paired, BTW.

I keep wondering if this has anything to do with my internet access. I use a Nexus 7, which has no Internet connection, so if I want the Internet, I have to find a wi-fi hotspot. I noticed that when I was updating the firmware, whenever I connected the controller to the hotspot, I'd get 'connected - no Internet', and then the connection to the wi-fi hotspot would change from 'connected' to 'saved' and if I re-established the connection to the hotspot, the controller would disconnect. I'm not sure if you have to have connection to the controller and the Internet simultaneously.

This morning I really thought I'd cracked it, because it seemed the only thing stopping it from taking off was a compass error. I then calibrated the compass, which was successful, but still no joy. I even got the announcement 'your home point has been updated - please check it on the map'. But now it's 'aircraft locked', the app tells me to connect to the aircraft but it won't appear on the wi-fi list.

Plenty of members to help you. Be patient. Take your time. And I agree, you will love flying the Spark ⚡️ once you get it working.

Oh and like msinger stated, for the "aircraft locked", try logging out of the DJI app and then back in. If that doesn't help, I found a post in the DJI forums that may be an easy fix:

"After updating, it said "Aircraft is locked" when I tried to takeoff. I clicked the settings bar on the right, and scrolled down to "About". Under firmware, even though I had already updated, it was still listed as the previous version. I selected "Check for updates" and it finally realized that it had been updated. After that, the "Aircraft is locked" message disappeared, and I was able to takeoff."

Thank you so much for all your help. Last night I finally got it to work (it was great listening to those motors starting up for the first time). Mind you, I still don't have a clear idea of what I did to finally get it working.

Unfortunately, due to weather conditions, I still haven't flown it yet!

Well your doing better than me, I can't even get past the registration process from the go 4app as I can't get beyond the privacy policy to agree so I can continue the setup, I scroll all the way to the bottom then what, it comes to a dead end, I'm going to call tech support when they open. I shudder to think of what lies ahead? BTW in the google play store when I type in dji assistant 2 the only thing that comes up is DJI Ronin assistant, is that the right assistant you spoke of?

Last edited:
Well your doing better than me, I can't even get past the registration process from the go 4app as I can't get beyond the privacy policy to agree so I can continue the setup, I scroll all the way to the bottom then what, it comes to a dead end, I'm going to call tech support when they open. I shudder to think of what lies ahead? BTW in the google play store when I type in dji assistant 2 the only thing that comes up is DJI Ronin assistant, is that the right assistant you spoke of?

Good luck, I'm hoping you figure this out today when you call DJI.
If I were you I would be mentally derange by now : -) my maiden fly was the same day I got it but I when mad crazy doing research before I got it ...or maybe I got lucky:)

Well your doing better than me, I can't even get past the registration process from the go 4app as I can't get beyond the privacy policy to agree so I can continue the setup, I scroll all the way to the bottom then what, it comes to a dead end, I'm going to call tech support when they open. I shudder to think of what lies ahead? BTW in the google play store when I type in DJI assistant 2 the only thing that comes up is DJI Ronin assistant, is that the right assistant you spoke of?

Jangles - To get DJI Assistant 2 you need to go to DJI's website. Select the spark and about a third of the way down you will see something like "specs, video, downloads, and FAQs". Select downloads and then you will find the Assistant for both Android and IOS.

BTW in the google play store when I type in dji assistant 2 the only thing that comes up is DJI Ronin assistant, is that the right assistant you spoke of?
You can download the DJI Assistant 2 installer here.

HI all! I'm looking for answers about the "precise fly safe database update" and why it just sits at 0% until it says "connection interrupted"
I've logged out and logged back in, how can fix or bypass this? IIIIIIIIIII just wanna fly!!

thank you

I suppose you are connected to spark's WiFi, so you haven't internet connection.

You need a cell (4g or 3g) connection, or just select "ignore".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis