Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Check out Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses.

Denver

Join
Oct 31, 2017
Hi All, just seen an advert for Epsons new FPV glasses....they look awesome. They are the size of spectacles but it appears they have heads up display which you can see through so stil able to see your drone. They specifically mention DJI drones in the advert so look good. Anyone used them?

Hi All, just seen an advert for Epsons new FPV glasses....they look awesome. They are the size of spectacles but it appears they have heads up display which you can see through so stil able to see your drone. They specifically mention DJI drones in the advert so look good. Anyone used them?
Many posts here, I did a review on the beta version in 2016

MOVERIO FPV Smart Glasses

I've had mine for about 8 mths, and use them to fly with the P4P, Mavic and Spark.
Only draw back is that they are quite expensive.
Also good for 3D movies and Netflix etc.

This is a really good review from Ed Ricker

The latest versions of the Go4 app have turned off a lot of features when using an OTG cable on the Spark, which is how I've been connecting my BT-300 to the RC. Has anyone tried connecting the RC to their BT-300 with WiFi?

The latest versions of the Go4 app have turned off a lot of features when using an OTG cable on the Spark, which is how I've been connecting my BT-300 to the RC. Has anyone tried connecting the RC to their BT-300 with WiFi?

Hi rwent1, I found a used pair of Moverio BT-300 glasses on Craig's list here in the USA and snapped them up a week ago. I truly love them. They had a version of firmware somewhere above 4.1.18 so the OTG would not work with my spark. At that point I decided to update to the latest code 4.2.8 which I did. I have flown my spark many times using WiFi. The only problem has been a quick video freeze but the system recovered instantly. The 4.2.8 firmware seems to work properly using an OTG cable with my MP but I have only flown MP a couple of times with the glasses. I am thinking of side-loading 4.1.15 so I can get back the OTG with the spark. I do prefer OTG but the WiFi is working fine.

Here is something else I have done with my BT-300 glasses. I have trouble getting my head around flying and looking through display. I can see everything but I do not get the detail from the drone I was hoping for. So, I took one of the shades (the minimum tint one) and covered it with black electrical tape to make a total black out shade. WOW does the display really pop! Next I took the long nose rest and put the glasses slightly out and up from my face/eyes. I also ware regular glasses. Now I can look through my regular glasses directly at the drone and if I look slightly up I can see the BT-300 image perfectly. Using the total blackout shades make the BT-300 look like you are looking at the brightest crystalsky type display with a sun shade box all around it. This has worked the best for me.

~Bill

All Moverio users,

DJI has released (well almost) a new version of DJI GO 4 version 4.2.12. The new version claims to add back in OTG for the spark.

upload_2018-4-18_11-29-4.png
I was able to get a copy of 4.2.12 and was able to get it up and running. It does indeed work with an OTG cable. It was release to google play but only a select group was able to update using google play. I downloaded it from another source (goggle drive). However it has been reported it has been removed and no longer available. This has not been confirmed as it was not globally available in the first place. In any case I am going to wait until it has been determined stable and released by Epson.

~ Bill

I’ve seen the BT-300...but I have a problem paying 2X the price of the aircraft for a display unit.

If it was priced lower I might consider it.

I lucked out and found a pair on Craig's list for less than 1/2 price. It takes awhile to get used to them but I like more each time I use them. Not perfect but the closet I have come so far. I tried doing something similar using Myvu glasses. Not even close. I wish I had all the time and money I wasted trying to roll my own. I really like the Epson BT-300's.

Bill, a picture is worth a thousand words. Have any you can share of your setup? My worries are the bright Florida days ahead.

Bill, a picture is worth a thousand words. Have any you can share of your setup? My worries are the bright Florida days ahead.

Hi, Nothing really special about my setup just a pair of Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses. I use the minimum density shade that comes with the glasses most of the time when outdoors. I also use the Rochester special shade that also came with the unit. In addition I tried a total blackout then positioned the glasses slightly higher on my nose than normal. I could see the drone normally by looking below the glasses the look slightly up and see the image in the glasses perfectly. I thought this was the best solution but after some experimentation I am getting used to the "see through" feature and training my brain to differentiate and process the 2 images. A this point I am not sure which configuration I will end up using. Worst case so far is if the screen is washed out due to an excessively bright sky simply move your head to look at a darker area like a shadow and the image pops back in. This approach is no worse than taking your eyes off the drone to look down at a monitor. I have even placed a hand over the glasses for an instance for a quick total blackout. One of my biggest problems for me that is no fault of the glasses is to judge (trust) the distance from obstacles. I have the same issues using a monitor of any kind.

As far as the Myvu glasses using several different models I never achieved a usable configuration. No see through and never bright enough when out in the daylight. I have disassembled all my attempts with the Myvu's other than the correction lenses I made as I need reading glasses to see anything up close. I still use the Myvu's at night so not to bother my wife. I also tried several HDMI googles using my K1 shield as the source. While the video was bright and clear you had no LOS. So far the best solution is the Epson BT-300 but the price is high.

~Bill

Just bought some these, and tried them for first time today.

Although expensive, I guess you can argue the can also be used for other purposes, and they can't fall out of the sky and get damaged even if my Spark does.

I think they work as described. You get a nice viewing screen, but it does take a little getting used to. After two full battery flights I felt pretty confident for basic operation.

Some caveats, which I may find adjustments for. Even though you're not closed up like with goggles, I didn't feel I could see what else was going on around me. I'd be a little concerned if I was in a sketchy area by myself, as I don't think it would be too hard for someone to sneak up on you and mug you or whatever. They are immersive. The clear lenses make the viewing screen hard to see I thought, even at golden hour, but I read that this may be adjustable with screen brightness. I thought they might be easier to see around, but maybe because i'm not using the nose piece. I will experiment more when I get a chance. The sun shades, (for me) are almost impossible to see through at golden hour. But they do make for a lovely viewing screen background. Maybe in really bright sun you can see through also.

One thing I noticed, is when I want to I can really focus in on something and concentrate on the gimbal movement, like if following something as I pass. I only used a wifi connection with the Spark. Did not have any connection or lag issues this time. But I stayed within an 800 foot radius. Didn't want to push it to far and have an emergency with an unfamiliar device.

When I was first setting it up, I had a heck of a time with the sensitivity -- as in way over sensitive it seemed.

I think I'm really going to like it, but I will come back if I note anything interesting or problematic about it to report.

I only have the Spark to use it with, so all is Spark related.

Edit: looking in the box, I just noticed there is an intermediate shade, so that's good. The one I should have used.

Last edited:
Reactions: gareth5000
I have to agree, they are the best! I truly hope Epson can come up with a fix for the overheating and shutdown some have reported. When the fix comes the Moverio's will be "the only way to fly".

Although, Epson has only released beta to some users, the software upgrade has a "bird's eye mode".

When you turn your head left or right, drone turns left or right. When you look up or down, gimbal moves up or down.

Reactions: SPARKLT
I've had mine for about 8 mths, and use them to fly with the P4P, Mavic and Spark.

I am finding it almost impossible to use the cursor/mouse pad. Have you found a way to connect with a Bluetooth mouse and or keypad. It took me 5 hours to type in my WiFi password because the cursor jumped all over the place and wrong characters were being typed. Not acceptable.
Mike

Hi rwent1, I found a used pair of Moverio BT-300 glasses on Craig's list here in the USA and snapped them up a week ago. I truly love them. They had a version of firmware somewhere above 4.1.18 so the OTG would not work with my spark. At that point I decided to update to the latest code 4.2.8 which I did. I have flown my spark many times using WiFi. The only problem has been a quick video freeze but the system recovered instantly. The 4.2.8 firmware seems to work properly using an OTG cable with my MP but I have only flown MP a couple of times with the glasses. I am thinking of side-loading 4.1.15 so I can get back the OTG with the spark. I do prefer OTG but the WiFi is working fine.

Here is something else I have done with my BT-300 glasses. I have trouble getting my head around flying and looking through display. I can see everything but I do not get the detail from the drone I was hoping for. So, I took one of the shades (the minimum tint one) and covered it with black electrical tape to make a total black out shade. WOW does the display really pop! Next I took the long nose rest and put the glasses slightly out and up from my face/eyes. I also ware regular glasses. Now I can look through my regular glasses directly at the drone and if I look slightly up I can see the BT-300 image perfectly. Using the total blackout shades make the BT-300 look like you are looking at the brightest crystalsky type display with a sun shade box all around it. This has worked the best for me.

~Bill
Hi. I have new bt-300 glasses but find it impossible to use it’s cursor to type . I have bought a Bluetooth mouse and hope to be able to use it. Question, is there a video I can watch that will show me how to connect to my Sparta and fly it?
Thanks
~Mike

I have had mine since Christmas 2020, but I can not get them to connect to my Spark. I get an "Authorization Error" when I try to connect to the Sparks WIFI.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme