Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Choosing a device to demagnetize a compass

I see the one pictured above is advertised as a watch demagnetizer and sells for around $11-$14 USD. Sure is cost effective IF it works.

This guy bought one and said it appears to work (skip to 2:58) and the drone no longer gave Compass Error message after degaussing; Low cost demagnetizer

Read another post on MavicPilots saying the same unit was effective on his drone.

Let us know if it fixes your compass problem, Regina_M.
I am afraid that this device may ruin my drone. This device does not always work correctly.

Amazon lists Spark 317's tape eraser is AC powered and a picture showing the AC plug. "Electromagnet" denotes its magnetic field is the result of electric current flowing through a coil around a core. My concern would be from using a degausser many times more powerful than, say, the CFixer and leaving it on too long. Otherwise, it should work.
How complicated is it = (

i feel as if this is a advertisement or somthing.... why would you place a drone next to a big magnet? why
I didn’t know that you shouldn’t do this. When the problem arose, I started reading the forums. This is not an advertisement. I am looking for an inexpensive solution to my problem

Here is a simple way to degauss (demagnetize) the compass in a drone, cell phone. etc. Take approximately 50 feet of flexible wire and wind it in a coil about 1 foot in diameter. Secure the coil in several places with some electrical tape or tie wraps. Using a step down transformer with an output of 12 to 24 volts AC (NOT DC) connect the transformers secondary (low voltage side) to the coil. You cannot use DC as this would make the coil into a magnet. Moving the coil in a circular motion move the coil close to the drone and wave it all around the drone., top, bottom, all sides before pulling the coil away from the drone. Rotate the coil so it is 90 degrees to the drone as you pull it away . Remember to continue the circular motion until the coil has been move 4 to 5 feet away from the drone. Powering down the coil while close to the drone can create a magnetic field so be sure to move the coil away from the drone before powering the coil down. Its really that simple.

A doorbell transformer or a filament transformer removed from and old tube radio is all you need. Find a ham radio operator in your area and ask to borrow and old transformer. I have used this method in the past to degauss my cell phone.

Reactions: Haggi
Here is a simple way to degauss (demagnetize) the compass in a drone, cell phone. etc. Take approximately 50 feet of flexible wire and wind it in a coil about 1 foot in diameter. Secure the coil in several places with some electrical tape or tie wraps. Using a step down transformer with an output of 12 to 24 volts AC (NOT DC) connect the transformers secondary (low voltage side) to the coil. You cannot use DC as this would make the coil into a magnet. Moving the coil in a circular motion move the coil close to the drone and wave it all around the drone., top, bottom, all sides before pulling the coil away from the drone. Rotate the coil so it is 90 degrees to the drone as you pull it away . Remember to continue the circular motion until the coil has been move 4 to 5 feet away from the drone. Powering down the coil while close to the drone can create a magnetic field so be sure to move the coil away from the drone before powering the coil down. Its really that simple.

A doorbell transformer or a filament transformer removed from and old tube radio is all you need. Find a ham radio operator in your area and ask to borrow and old transformer. I have used this method in the past to degauss my cell phone.
I am a girl. It is very difficult. Mega is complicated. It's easier to buy a finished device. I can ruin my drone using your method

I found a funny video. I can not decide which device to buy = (
Hi Regina!
I understand if you're sceptical to the cheapo Chinese degausser.
If you've got the cash for the Cfixer, then that's perfect. It's a great gadget for the purpose. Isn't it rechargeable and ready for use on your flight spot?
If, on the other hand, you decide to go for the Chinese one.. I would use it like in the video below.
Touch drone (compass location), activate degausser, move slowly away. All 3 axes.
Then proceed to make a proper compass and IMU calibration, away from steel, wires and concrete.

Isn't it rechargeable and ready for use on your flight spot?

The Cfixer shows a picture that it plugs onto the Spark battery.

I read a review to make sure to order the Spark cable.

Hi Regina!
I understand if you're sceptical to the cheapo Chinese degausser.
If you've got the cash for the Cfixer, then that's perfect. It's a great gadget for the purpose. Isn't it rechargeable and ready for use on your flight spot?
If, on the other hand, you decide to go for the Chinese one.. I would use it like in the video below.
Touch drone (compass location), activate degausser, move slowly away. All 3 axes.
Then proceed to make a proper compass and IMU calibration, away from steel, wires and concrete.

I bought an expensive device and it works great.
Thanks for the video tutorial.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit