Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Cinematic shots

His415

Join
Jul 12, 2017
Does anyone have tips for camera settings for "cinematic styleish" type shots?

I just shoot with standard settings at the moment, then use powerdirector for post production :)

Reactions: His415
Learn to use a polarizer, and ND filters.
And when you’re just about to take off, Set exposure level which is halfway between the sky and the ground just gimbal down so the ground becomes slightly lighter but not completely light. Then, enable your ae/lock, which I have as one of my customizable buttons. You can fine tune it after takeoff. That way your auto won’t blow out your sky when gimbaling down. You should end up with a descent exposure level thru-out. Nothing less cinematic than a beautiful blue sky becoming washed out when gimbaling down to get the terrain below.
Of course there are tools you can use to check your exposure levels in manual settings, and these are good, but I find ae/lock the perfect on-the-fly control for achieving descent exposure levels right from the start.
This is using the ae/lock. A test i did using active track.

In this case I aimed my camera at the brightest point on the tower. The shutter speed compensated, bringing the exposure levels down. This made all my other values darker, richer looking. I love the ae/lock.

Thanks Manny, I got all that but right after ND filters I realized I have a steep learning curve [emoji658] I'll get there soon.

I have no doubt.
We are here for you.
I’m sure you have knowledge that can help us as well.
Cheers

Learn to use a polarizer, and ND filters.
And when you’re just about to take off, Set exposure level which is halfway between the sky and the ground just gimbal down so the ground becomes slightly lighter but not completely light. Then, enable your ae/lock, which I have as one of my customizable buttons. You can fine tune it after takeoff. That way your auto won’t blow out your sky when gimbaling down. You should end up with a descent exposure level thru-out. Nothing less cinematic than a beautiful blue sky becoming washed out when gimbaling down to get the terrain below.
Of course there are tools you can use to check your exposure levels in manual settings, and these are good, but I find ae/lock the perfect on-the-fly control for achieving descent exposure levels right from the start.
This is using the ae/lock. A test i did using active track.

Which filter would you suggest for the Spark? I read some threads on FB that you can damage your gimble with some of the filters. also great video, I'm also in Tampa Bay know that location.

1B09F587-6E5A-4F0D-8371-F27E5BDA2E14.jpeg Thank you for the nice compliment.

I bought the Polar Pro set. A set of 3 filters for about $50.00 on Amazon. It has the one I use all the time ND-16, which will provide me with slower shutter speeds, to take out the jerky strobing effect seen with high shutter speeds. Reducing the shutter speed greatly enhances motion, adding the natural blur perceived by the human eye. One way of getting the movie “Cinematic” look.
The other ND filter in the pack is an ND-8, which I use for hazy, cloudy days. And the third is an ND Polarizer which I use when flying over bodies of water. This reduces the glare in reflective surfaces. Water, car and building windows, chrome or highly polished metal. Etc. Also will make colors richer looking.
It would have been nice to have an ND-32 for those extremely bright summer days. But the ND-16 is fine.

As far as it affecting the gimbal...haven’t seen any issues. But the Polar Pro set is extremely lightweight and delicate. So extreme care on installing them is advised.

There is a small latch which snaps perfectly into place behind the gimbal. The pressure and perfect fit of the filter keep it snuggly in place. I’ve never had a filter coming off for any reason. Even with the occasional hard landing we all sometimes encounter. I’m quite happy with mine. They are made of glass. Great quality

https://www.amazon.com/PolarPro-Fil...148386&sr=8-3&keywords=polarpro+filters+spark

Last edited:
D3FAF7E3-5D96-4EEA-887B-710375625826.jpeg 9478D42D-FFAC-4EA8-BE5C-74C46B2E7E60.jpeg BC1E4BDF-DFC3-43BB-9C6A-23B0E881C2EF.jpeg F82FDA77-4ABE-4942-8D0D-E941D8B61589.jpeg Here’s what it looks like. Then with the gimbal protector over it for storage. Fits nicely in my carrycase, along with the landing gear I choose to fly with. Filter stays on to protect the stock lense at all times.

Does anyone have a checklist of manual camera settings for various conditions? I know I need a set of ND filters but I also need to know when to use them and with what settings. Thanks.

Does anyone have a checklist of manual camera settings for various conditions? I know I need a set of ND filters but I also need to know when to use them and with what settings. Thanks.

After a few trial flights with ND filters you will be able to accurately predict which one to used based on how bright it is outside to your own eyes. Occasionally you will be off by one step and need to land for a filter change.

If you want to be more technical then download the Filter Calculator app by Polar Pro.

Reactions: Romano

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme