Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Cloudcroft and Ruidoso, NM and Drone Flying

NaweG

Join
Jun 30, 2019
Traveling to this area the first week of October. If I go to AirMap and look at Cloudcroft and the Sunspot Highway running south of there, everything appears to be nice Class G airspace which should let me get some wonderful fall color views.

But if I look at AirMap for Ruidoso, and as near as I can tell it's covered by R5107G, which looks to be space that can be restricted if there is testing going on at the range about 100 miles west at Holloman AFB. The only thing I can find on Google is a statement from 2010 saying that the restriction appears to be at altitudes I couldn't get to with a Spark if I wanted to (4100-6500 ft). I had wanted to do a quick flyover of the hotel I'm staying at there as a thank you to the hosts, but not sure what the rules are in this case? I'm sure there's a directive somewhere y'all can point me to that says yes, ask ATC (in this case the base?), or heck no at any time?

Thanks!

Traveling to this area the first week of October. If I go to AirMap and look at Cloudcroft and the Sunspot Highway running south of there, everything appears to be nice Class G airspace which should let me get some wonderful fall color views.

But if I look at AirMap for Ruidoso, and as near as I can tell it's covered by R5107G, which looks to be space that can be restricted if there is testing going on at the range about 100 miles west at Holloman AFB. The only thing I can find on Google is a statement from 2010 saying that the restriction appears to be at altitudes I couldn't get to with a Spark if I wanted to (4100-6500 ft). I had wanted to do a quick flyover of the hotel I'm staying at there as a thank you to the hosts, but not sure what the rules are in this case? I'm sure there's a directive somewhere y'all can point me to that says yes, ask ATC (in this case the base?), or heck no at any time?

Thanks!

I see your plan and I would have to say go for it.
1) not continual testing
2) I do not think anything will be flying low enough over a hotel to be a threat to them.
3) ask the hotel people if they hear anything flying around on a regular basis.

I know it is an Airforce ATC but since May 17th 2019, we do not discuss things with the tower anymore.
LAANC will come on line for hobbyists to talk to the tower on the 23rd of July.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme