Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Conflicting Airspace Rules in Southern Alabama

Bob Johnston

Join
May 2, 2018
Besides the ordinance against flying in Orange Beach itself, I"m getting some conflicting airspace info between several apps. B4 U fly has the whole area as a pink(no legend) shaded area between Fort Morgan in west and Navarre to east and Evergreen to the North. Where as several other apps including Go4, UAV Forecast and Airmap all show the usual warning zones and larger airport related pink zones. Some of the airspace restrictions are listed in B4Ufly are, Controlled airspace, restricted airspace, Special use airspace. Can anyone form the area clarify any of this conflicting data?
PS Spark motors started up fine, with low hover and then shutdown per normal.
Thanks

Last edited:
I've seen discrepancies between those apps as well -- especially once you zoom in. I usually defer to B4UFly because it is sanctioned by the FAA and that's who you intimately must answer to.

In your particular area the airspace isn't the problem -- it's what's on the ground. That entire barrier island is Gulf Island National Seashore. National Parks are protected areas and universally of limits to drones. In Florida the State Parks are also no-go. Pensacola Naval Air Station has special operations from time to time too.

I think those apps primarily address airspace and miss some other problem areas. I usually check Google Earth and Google Maps to cover all the bases.

These are screenshots from Airmap and B4UFly. The large pink area is B4U.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190111-192011.png
    Screenshot_20190111-192011.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20190111-192043_AirMap.png
    Screenshot_20190111-192043_AirMap.png
    244.2 KB · Views: 15
These are screenshots from Airmap and B4UFly. The large pink area is B4U.

Wow. Those screen shots tell a much clearer story than the earlier text. It's very strange how different my screen shot is of the Gulf Shores AL area. No pink zone at all (and I have every filter turned ON):

A8EB5EC0-FD91-48CB-9BBB-FC6CFAEFDC2F.jpeg

The pink area on your map is much larger and unusual shape compared to most temporary NFZ I've seen in the past. And no NFZ listed around there on the FAA website either. It's absolutely ridiculous that B4Ufly has no legend to explain the colors and help interpret the meaning. It doesn't show up on my AirMap either.

If it was for real I really think it would up on my B4Ufly app, AirMap and the TFZ list. I even checked Elgin and Pensacola AFB. No wildfires either.

I'm stumped and intrigued. There's a Contact Us option in the More tab at bottom but with day 23 of the government shutdown... :rolleyes:

Im not sure if I was very clear, but the large pink area is in the B4 app not airmap or two other airspace maps for drones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef