Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Considering adding a Spark to the mix.

Brojon

Join
Jul 23, 2018
I have a Phantom 4 Pro and a Mavic Pro but honestly it's a PITA packing even the Mavic around and setting up when scouting a location. The hand launch feature of the Spark is pretty attractive - no, make that *very* attractive. If only it folded...
Anyway - looking for something to use as a scouting drone that I won't be out a lot of money if something happens. I can envision hand carrying the Spark remote and have the Spark hang off a belt loop or something with a spare battery in my pocket - ready for near instant deployment with minimum muss or fuss.
I crashed my Mavic once because it lost GPS and went stoopid on me into a bridge abutment. My understanding is the Spark is a little better behaved when GPS signal is lost - at least that's my take with what I've read.
The reason I'm looking at the Spark and not the Tello is GPS and ability to fly waypoint missions. 1080p isn't a big deal to me since this is intended to be a "scouting" drone - if I like what I see then I can go back with the big boys.
So given my reasons for wanting one, what say y'all? Anything to add to my observations?

Man, I just caved. I have been wanting a Spark ever since it came out, but since I already own a Mavic Pro, I really couldn't come up with any rationally good reason to buy one. Managed to postpone month after month, but last week applied some man-math and ordered a refurbished Fly More Combo. Now sitting behind the front door, waiting for the courier to deliver it at my house.

All I want to say is; if you are bitten by the "want-bug", you better be strong! :) I think your reason to add the Spark to your set of tools is as good as any. I have seen belt clips for the spark, so your idea isn't bad at all... I would go for it if I were you!

Reactions: zhangws55
78FF8412-6076-4863-9EB9-C928F08E068D.jpeg I too, own larger drones (P3A and P3 4K). Similar to you, I hate packing them up and hauling them to locations to shoot video/photos. They’re so big! I wanted something small and easy to transfer, yet something that would still give me solid images/video. So far, I absolutely love the Spark. It’s rock solid for such a small aircraft, and I’m very impressed with the image quality. It’s probably not the best choice if you’re looking to create high-quality video projects, but it definitely takes great photos (see above). It also has decent range (buy the remote and use the OTG cable). In summation, it’s a great drone at a great price. Another awesome product from DJI.

Reactions: Brojon
What do you mean?
He has a bottom "socket", then a piece that rotates over the top, then a band that stretches from the bottom to hold teh top part on plus two clips each side for the band.
So given this thing is on your belt you'd have to pop off each side band - one handed - then release the band from the top, then flip the top up to remove the drone - all while keeping hold of it to prevent dropping it.
Not to say it's a bad design but I'm thinking more a flip phone type holster where a restraining strap simply unsnaps and allows me to remove the drone. I do leather work and make pistol holsters so I'm sure I can come up with something a bit simpler yet secure. In fact just a pocket with a magnetic top flap would be just dandy for my use.

Reactions: RPL
Question: I just read about a supposed bug whereby the Spark misreads altitude and thinks it's lower than it is leading to crashes.
Any truth to that? Fixed?
What's real world flying time? I hear 16 and 12 minutes thrown around.
Does Sports mode shorten flying time?
I assume that collision detection is turned off in Sport mode - how good is the obstacle avoidance given it's IR and not camera based?

So I watched more videos and read more reviews and felt confident enough to pull the plug on a Spark. Snagged a new Fly More combo off fleaBay for $460 which I think is pretty good since I can't find anyplace that has them discounted. The current discount is for the controller + Spark for $400. Considering the extra battery, props and charger I felt like the flymore was the way to go.
One of the things that sold me was the ability to charge through the USB port. That's dang handy as I have a really good Ankar 22,000 maH portable pack. It was not clear if the remote could also be charged this way .
Somewhere I saw a deal on two batteries I have to dig up.
Next question - ND filters. I don't want to do another round of PolarPro filters (I think I personally bumped them into the red last year ;) ). Any cheap but decent ND's running around?

Reactions: JoostGT3
Awesome - where on earth did you get the red props?
Love the RedBull Suzuki wrap - I ride a DL-650A myself.
This spark should fit in my tank bag pretty handy.
3rd party props are pretty readily available on amazon and work great.
I ride a DR-650. Used the spark to film myself riding once but it was at low speed in a parking lot just to see how it worked. Not very exciting footage but still fun and the potential is there for some great shots.

3rd party props are pretty readily available on amazon and work great.
I ride a DR-650. Used the spark to film myself riding once but it was at low speed in a parking lot just to see how it worked. Not very exciting footage but still fun and the potential is there for some great shots.
Huh! So with the P4P and Mavic the general consensus is stay away from 3rd party props as some folks say they've had issues.
Not as big an issue with the Spark or are Spark owners just a braver more foolhardy lot? ;)
I just looked and they have a green to match my bird - prices vary from 5-15 a set. Any brands to recommend?

Huh! So with the P4P and Mavic the general consensus is stay away from 3rd party props as some folks say they've had issues.
Not as big an issue with the Spark or are Spark owners just a braver more foolhardy lot? ;)
I just looked and they have a green to match my bird - prices vary from 5-15 a set. Any brands to recommend?
Maybe the spark is less affected by 3rd party props because it is a less sensitive AC. I have flown these red ones quite a bit with no issues at all.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075Q6HH44/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_93NvBbYQWW2QR
Also here's that video I mentioned

Question: I just read about a supposed bug whereby the Spark misreads altitude and thinks it's lower than it is leading to crashes.
Any truth to that? Fixed?
What's real world flying time? I hear 16 and 12 minutes thrown around.
Does Sports mode shorten flying time?
I assume that collision detection is turned off in Sport mode - how good is the obstacle avoidance given it's IR and not camera based?
I get 8-9 minutes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Definitely get yourself a spark. I love mine! Haven't had an opportunity to fly anything nicer or larger yet. It I'm absolutely hooked on uav flight and photography. I saw an actual holster on Amazon just last night I think you might like along with a utility belt marketed for the spark too. I plan to buy the holster myself in the near future.

I get about 10 mins also and I've had some pretty good results from the obstical avoidance . all 3 crashes were in sport mode where unfortunately yes it's disabled. This is mine I just put this skin on yesterday1532417605708.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast