Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Contour mapping possible with Spark?

purduealum91

Join
Feb 16, 2018
Hello everyone,

I do not yet have a drone, but do anticipate purchasing one in the near future.

In my research, I see there are programs that convert photos to contours (i.e. Drone Deploy and Pixel 4D), but they do not support the spark.

Is there a program similar to either DD or Pix4D that would convert photos taken with the Spark into contour data? I am a Civil Engineer and want to topo my property.

Spark lacks SDK access that is used by the other tools to control waypoints. As well, GPS data isn't recorded with sufficient resolution for mapping.

You need Mavic Air at a minimum, possibly Mavic Pro.

You can load your Spark images direct into Dronedeploy and get a contour map (and orthophoto and model) Their software is not automated for Spark so you must make manual flights or use waypoints in the Go 4 hack. I have done this so it is not difficult.

I did this with my spark...
As spark does not have waypoint mode, i flew manually and set automatic 3 seconds interval photos with the gimbal aimed down.
I use Agisoft photoscan to process the image and use ground control point to calibrate the coordinate.

You can use Pix4d as well but still in manual flight. The different is in pix4d you can set the spark to take photos in every distance of movement rather than time interval.

Thanks everyone. Is there a website that depicts the workflow? Are you able to import your contours into Autocad?

I did mine on agisoft and able to export the result to any 3d software package including autocad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
d beard