Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Dark All Day : Monochrome Sunshine

RedZeppelin

Join
Jun 23, 2019
Challenging day shooting both into the sun and with high winds here in Devon today.

I've noticed before when bringing my Spark back in for a battery change, that the black and white frozen still I see on my mobile after powering off the Spark prior to switching out the battery sometimes looks quite effective. so after feeling a bit deflated with the colour results in post, I figured I'd experiment with some monochrome.

Hopefully salvaged a little something from the afternoon
14_2x.gif

RZ-Dark-All-Day.jpg

Very nice, how did u do that?

Thanks @skyfly

As I mentioned, I'd had a tricky day shooting today as it was both a really windy day here in Devon, and the shot I was trying to get was shooting into the sun. The colour versions were pretty disappointing to my eye as a result, so I started to experiment with black & white versions.

I have the Nik Collection of filters in Photoshop and experimented with the Silver Efex Pro 2 options, tinkering until I got roughly what I was hoping for.

The more I shoot with my Spark, the more I realise that the options are only limited by your imagination ;)

Some shots look great in monochrome, this is one of them. The flexibility of digital photography is surely wonderful and can turn a loss into a win pretty quickly! Great shot! ?

Reactions: RedZeppelin
Some of the most iconic photos in history were shot monochrome. I can't imagine Ansel Adams' work in color. Black & white has a certain impact that speaks for itself. Nice photo, thanks for sharing!

We don’t half suffer with poor flying weather here in the UK at this time. I was up in the Yorkshire Dales over the w/e and boy was it blowing a hooley. Some rain too but I did get some shots off and will try to post when we get home

Really windy out our way this weekend, Saturday morning was my only shot. I keep forgetting about monochrome, it can look pretty cool. Thanks for sharing that great shot.. I see a little distortion in the water, was that deliberate?

Really windy out our way this weekend, Saturday morning was my only shot. I keep forgetting about monochrome, it can look pretty cool. Thanks for sharing that great shot.. I see a little distortion in the water, was that deliberate?

Thanks @Northwood Mediaworks. I'd also forgotten about monochrome options and fell on it by accident pretty much, as I mentioned, but it worked really well for these conditions. I'd all but given up on the colour shots as they just weren't working for me.

I guess the distortion in the water is down to mismatched stitching in the panorama - it was super windy after all. I did try to blend where the mis-alignment was obvious, which probably explains the distortion you're seeing.

Thanks again for your kind words and support ;)

Reactions: twickers14

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502