Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Difficulty seeing tablet outdoors

Jeffrey Journey

Join
Jul 15, 2017
Just wanted to get some other opinions on this topic. I specifically bought an IPad mini 4 to use with my spark rc and the DJI go 4 app. However I find it difficult to see the screen in the sun and more times than not just end up flying via line of sight forgoing using the tablet to navigate my quad. I know there are probably after market contraptions to help shield the sun and I may have to resort to getting one but was open to other pilots views (pun intended) on this topic...Thanks...

The mini 4 is pretty dim, so yes if you don't want to switch to something brighter you'll need a sun hood.

If a new device is not an option, flying in the shade or using some type of sun shade are really the only solutions. Here are some commonly used sun shades:

Apparently the Nvidia Shield is a pretty good choice too and pretty cheap based on what I've seen.

Reactions: Robert G
Could be. So hard to find enough first hand data to evaluate. After catastrophic results from latest go 4 app. on phone and tablet , I just hope crystalsky being their product will work with OTG properly.

I can't find it now but I have this anti-glare screen I bought that seems to cut down on some of the glare. Then I use a hoodman shade. Thats really the only way to see my Mini 4 display clearly..

Just wanted to get some other opinions on this topic. I specifically bought an IPad mini 4 to use with my spark rc and the DJI go 4 app. However I find it difficult to see the screen in the sun and more times than not just end up flying via line of sight forgoing using the tablet to navigate my quad. I know there are probably after market contraptions to help shield the sun and I may have to resort to getting one but was open to other pilots views (pun intended) on this topic...Thanks...

Apparently the Nvidia Shield is a pretty good choice too and pretty cheap based on what I've seen.
It's a good device performance-wise. It's not very bright though.

ok, will probably stick with my Lenovo P2 5.5" Oled then. If I'm going to get another tablet it would make more sense to get an iOS one anyway since many there are iOS only apps for DJI drones and the GO app seems to be optimized for iOS too.

Just sold my IPad Mini 2 for the same reason and bought the DJI CrystalSky 5.5” dedicated tablet and DJI Spark/Mavic Mount. Expensive I know but I can see what’s on screen even in bright sunlight and no bloatware to worry about. One of the best investments I’ve made.

I've got a Ipad Mini 4 and an Ipad Air 2 I may consider selling for a Crystal Sky 7.85. Really only one thing holding me back. I like a larger display. From time to time I even use my larger Ipad Pro. Sometimes I find I'm doing AP/Video where I've found some really cool things on the ground worth investigating. I wouldn't have been able to see the movement of the Beavers on a smaller screen... Now I'm not advocating a 12" Crystal Sky, But I'd like to see a 9.7" model...

I've got a Ipad Mini 4 and an Ipad Air 2 I may consider selling for a Crystal Sky 7.85. Really only one thing holding me back. I like a larger display. From time to time I even use my larger Ipad Pro. Sometimes I find I'm doing AP/Video where I've found some really cool things on the ground worth investigating. I wouldn't have been able to see the movement of the Beavers on a smaller screen... Now I'm not advocating a 12" Crystal Sky, But I'd like to see a 9.7" model...

How would you rate the legibility of the Mini 4 vs Air 2 outdoors ? The Mini can fit directly in the remote but it's probably going to be getting heavy so might as well us a lanyard+mount and go with the Air 2 if it's brighter.

The Mini 4 appears to be ever-so-slightly brighter than the Ipad Air 2. But not enough to make a huge difference or make one better than the other when outside.

I really want to keep my Spark super-portable so I don't want to have to haul my Mavmount and Hoodman shade. Just more stuff to carry. If I'm going to haul that stuff, then I'll just grab my Mavic Pro or Phantom 4.

How would you rate the legibility of the Mini 4 vs Air 2 outdoors ? The Mini can fit directly in the remote but it's probably going to be getting heavy so might as well us a lanyard+mount and go with the Air 2 if it's brighter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis