Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Direction assisted lights

Neebuz

Join
Jan 11, 2019
Hi I'm new to flying drones and have purchased these lights only to assist me in the aid of learning to fly. I seem to be more comfortable flying by eye ( visual of the drone rather than using the screen) I have found I become a little disorientated at times as to which direction I'm travelling
Would anyone know if these lights could cause the drone to malfunction or effect the compass due to them being metallic.
I know the added weight will influence the flight time due to extra flying weight
Thank you for your input

Hi I'm new to flying drones and have purchased these lights only to assist me in the aid of learning to fly. I seem to be more comfortable flying by eye ( visual of the drone rather than using the screen) I have found I become a little disorientated at times as to which direction I'm travelling
Would anyone know if these lights could cause the drone to malfunction or effect the compass due to them being metallic.
I know the added weight will influence the flight time due to extra flying weight
Thank you for your input

Screenshot_20190201-232208.jpeg

I use Strobon Cree lights strobe lights - Red on right Green on Left and white on bottom. Attached to inexpensive landing gear using double stick tape. Can use to navigate and fairly lightweight. Mostly use for night flying - can see strobes at night well over 2 miles out.

20190201_091746.jpg20190201_092009_001.jpg

Reactions: Highflyer
I use Strobon Cree lights strobe lights - Red on right Green on Left and white on bottom. Attached to inexpensive landing gear using double stick tape. Can use to navigate and fairly lightweight. Mostly use for night flying - can see strobes at night well over 2 miles out.

View attachment 8614View attachment 8615
That landing gear is cool gives that extra distance off the ground [emoji106]

Reactions: Jhumpert
Thank you for your input

There are some that say yes, the lights disturb the Visual Positioning Sensors (VPS) but personally I have not seen it with almost the same config but just one strobe under the landing gear.

And yes McCloud Spark, the landing gear attaches fimly to the battery where his 2 side lights are.
And, you can only attach one way as the skids line up with the battery bumper pads underneath.

Reactions: Neebuz
I thought about putting one on the front. Any issues with camera due to flashing strobe.
Would depent on where. Underneath near the bottom sensors will likely cause landing issues or even near front camera could cause picture or filming issues.

I have the same design landing gear with a strobe attached. I stopped it using it because I feared that the narrow width below the Spark may interfere with the sensor. I did not experience any problems with the landing gear but changed to struts fitting under the motors because they were further away from the sensor. Anyone have any opinions.

I have the same design landing gear with a strobe attached. I stopped it using it because I feared that the narrow width below the Spark may interfere with the sensor. I did not experience any problems with the landing gear but changed to struts fitting under the motors because they were further away from the sensor. Anyone have any opinions.

I had the PolarPro version which is similar and mounting it directly on the bottom was too close to the VPS and it was the scariest 30 second flight ever, as the Spark hopped around in the air, unable to establish a Visual on the ground during launch due to the strobe. Made a hard landing and have since moved the strobes out to the arms, attached to the prop guards.

The way Heckmaniac has them mounted would work because they are far enough away the camera.

View attachment 8614View attachment 8615
I have this same landing gear, how well can these lights be seen in the daytime? Havent been brave enough to try night flight but seem to lose orientation as to what way my spark os pointing in sunlight and considered some kind of lights to see during the day.

I have this same landing gear, how well can these lights be seen in the daytime? Havent been brave enough to try night flight but seem to lose orientation as to what way my spark os pointing in sunlight and considered some kind of lights to see during the day.

They are ok in the daytime - but not nearly as effective as at night. Night flying is so much easier to see the drone at longer distances - just be surer your flying familiar areas and remain above any obstacles (building, trees, power lines). Use your instrumentation to see your orientation to the home point on your screen if trouble telling looking at the drone itself.

They are ok in the daytime - but not nearly as effective as at night. Night flying is so much easier to see the drone at longer distances - just be surer your flying familiar areas and remain above any obstacles (building, trees, power lines). Use your instrumentation to see your orientation to the home point on your screen if trouble telling looking at the drone itself.

About the only time I can think I would want to night fly is to attempt to record fireworks which my local would be right off the edge of an uncontrolled airport so not sure I would try that but there are other places around where I could record fireworks without being near an airport as well so there might be a chance to night fly. I can see where the red and green would be helpful just like on a real airplane.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis