Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI and the changing drone landscape

I B Spectre

Join
Aug 16, 2019
The consumer drone market is arguably dominated by DJI. The company has been slow to change their product line, but we're now seeing models being discontinued and hints of new models coming. Initially, I wondered about the fate of the legacy models with DJI's announced implementation of AirSense on all drones after January, 2020. Reading more recent articles, it appears their plan to include ADS-B In is voluntary as the FAA is mandating it for aircraft that fly in airspace currently requiring a transponder. DJI already has experience with it on certain enterprise models, so it appears they are trying to stay ahead of issues of manned aircraft and drone deconfliction, not because it's a requirement, but to stave off further regulation.

I am concerned about availability of accessories, particularly batteries. I was unable to cash-in on the $25 Spark battery blowout at Target as all the stores in my area had sold out. Time will tell how it shakes out.

ADS-B out from manned aircraft is only required for operation in Class B and C airspace effective Jan 2020. Many small private planes will not have ADS-B because they don’t fly in that heavily-congested airspace.

Most military aircraft will not transmit ADSB-B out as well...

My Mavic Enterprise has ADS-B in and it does a good job of detecting (participating) aircraft.

I believe incorporating this feature in new drones is a good thing - albeit at a cost to the consumer.

As far as Spark batteries, etc. are concerned they are still available thru many sources...I think Target (and Walmart) just decided to get out of those particular items as part of inventory management.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spark 317
Having flown an ADS-B DJI, I’m a fan of the technology and pay a bit extra for it if it was an optional add on.

One of my recent concerns has been what happens to legacy drones if FAA requires a transponder. I believe it was this video I recently watch that includes the FAA saying they aren’t looking at requiring transponders for drone, but hinted at something. My guess is a software tracker in the future.

As a side note, it’s been awhile since I watched drone videos but I see more and more produced or featuring the FAA. They’re actually pretty helpful at explaining things.

Having flown an ADS-B DJI, I’m a fan of the technology and pay a bit extra for it if it was an optional add on.

One of my recent concerns has been what happens to legacy drones if FAA requires a transponder. I believe it was this video I recently watch that includes the FAA saying they aren’t looking at requiring transponders for drone, but hinted at something. My guess is a software tracker in the future.

As a side note, it’s been awhile since I watched drone videos but I see more and more produced or featuring the FAA. They’re actually pretty helpful at explaining things.

Most (if not all) DJI drones transmit a UUID now that can be read by equipment like Aeroscope...

I looked up UUID and found a number of lengthy discussions on it, mostly on the DJI forums. Makes for interesting reading.

I looked up UUID and found a number of lengthy discussions on it, mostly on the DJI forums. Makes for interesting reading.

On some DJI drones you can turn UU ID (Remote Identification) off - this is not the case with Mavic Enterprise-series birds as they transmit that info all the time.

I have a feeling in all platforms via future firmware updates the ability to turn that ID off will somehow magically disappear...

Reactions: RotorWash

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme