Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Go 2.4.8 and offline maps, ios versus Android

Buckybuck

Join
Mar 2, 2018
Loc
Ohio
Relative newbie here. As a matter of fact, I haven’t even flown my Spark yet; it’s been raining ever since I got everything connected. But I’m soooo confused/leery about offline/cached maps that I’m willing to get smacked with the “Search box is your friend” paddle anyway.

I have a wifi-only iPad Air 2 and several Android phones. All are running the latest DJI Go 4.2.8.

I get the impression that whether or not to use Airplane mode is personal preference. Myself, I think I’d prefer to fly in Airplane mode (my Android phones allow wifi while in Airplane mode), since I get gobsmacked and mess everything up even when I’m doing something simple like listening to music on my phone when a phone call comes in. I fret what could happen if a call comes in while my Spark is a couple of hundred feet in the air.

Also, one of the geographic locations where I anticipate flying the Spark has terrible, spotty cell coverage, so I had been planning all along to use offline maps when there. That is, until I found out that DJI did away with the ability to download maps in recent DJI Go versions.

I did an experiment today and used the DJI Go app's Enter the Camera View mode to cache maps on my iPad and Android devices using my home wifi, and then drove to a nearby park. It was still raining, but I went to a covered bench, turned the Spark on, connected to it and waited until a bunch of satellites showed up, and kinda fantasized about what it would be like to actually fly it. Alas, on the iPad, the result on DJI Go was that the map display was empty. But there were maps on the Android devices.

Is my experience with how DJI Go 2.4.8 handles maps on ios versus Android correspond with what you’re seeing in DJI 4.2.8? Are the maps that are currently cached on my Android phones going to vanish at some point? I kinda wanted to use the iPad because of the larger screen size and I realize you can fly without a map, but isn't the map kinda important if you lose your Spark?

I have heard, but cannot confirm, that on Android if you cache a map in Google Maps, it will show up in GO4, even when offline.

Go into your Google Maps, click the 3 bars in the top left, and go to Offline Maps to see what is saved.

I am not sure if similar exists in Apple or not, as I think on iOS it uses Apple Maps.

I don't think the Android version of DJI Go uses Google Maps. The box that pops up when you click the Information button in the lower right side of the Go 4 map lists Mapbox and Openstreetmap as the map sources.

Also, I opened the same geographic area up in Go 4 and Google Maps on my Android phone, and the maps are a little different--for example, Go 4 shows some small ponds that aren't on Google Maps. In any event, I opened Google Maps and saved a new, different area onto Offline maps and it didn't show up later in DJI Go on that app's map. Could be wrong; this is all new to me.

I have heard, but cannot confirm, that on Android if you cache a map in Google Maps, it will show up in GO4, even when offline.
The maps won't cache if you view them in Google Maps. You need to cache the maps in DJI GO.

Finally. It stopped raining for a short while and I got to fly my Spark. I used one of my Android phones and the maps that I had cached on it three days ago were still there. It looks to me like DJI Go 4 is using OpenStreetMap rather than Google Maps, at least on Android. Does that sound right?

It looks to me like DJI Go 4 is using OpenStreetMap rather than Google Maps, at least on Android. Does that sound right?
Yes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast