Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Go 4 Update, laggy video, etc.

nyjumpee

Join
Jan 5, 2019
Hello! I've had a Phantom 3 Advanced for a few years. . .never had any issues with it. . great reliable drone. I got a Spark a few months ago and I've had quite a few issues. 1) Video/phone (Samsung Note 4) started to get VERY delayed. . .on the order of 4 seconds or more. Noticed the app itself was running very slowly on my phone as well such as when hitting the menu button it would be seconds before it appeared. Not so with my DJI Go app for the Phantom (2 different apps). Nothings changed. . was fine a few months ago. SO, I deleted the DJI Go 4 app and reinstalled yesterday. . .seems much better, however now the app is telling me "GPS positioning is disabled. Enable GP location on your mobile device?" and I get "OK" or "Cancel". . .I've never had to do this before. .assumed GPS data came from the drone itself. I have my phone connected to the controller via wifi (same as before when I had no issues). Also a new "funny" thing is the map in the lower left had corner first was displaying no data, then I noticed when I tilted my phone, the map "rotated". I've done some searching and found something about "caching the maps" and to use wifi to do that. . I can't connect to my controller and my wifi network at the same time AND, again, I've never had to do any of this in the past 2 years.. map always just appeared fine, satellite view, arrow showing direction of drone, home point, etc. Any suggestions on where to start to troubleshoot these issues is greatly appreciated. . .feeling like a complete novice after hundreds of hours on my Phantom 3 with no issues :-( Thanks in advance!!

I'm sorry to hear this.
About the "Enable gps..", some users having difficulties seeing a small tick-box and "Never show again" text...

Hope you get the issues solved.

I'm sorry to hear this.
About the "Enable gps..", some users having difficulties seeing a small tick-box and "Never show again" text...

Hope you get the issues solved.
Hey Haggi ~ Thanks for responding. I got a screenshot of that message so I could accurately quote it ~ I don't see a "Never show again" text box. . .also, again, any idea why it would now be asking me to activate GPS on my phone when the Spark is where it should be getting it's GPS data I thought? I'll also do some tests with my Phantom to see if that's still acting normal. Will also get a video screenshot of the mysterious "moving map" when I tilt my phone. . anyone else ever see anything like this? VERY confusing. . .live and learn. . .hopefully someone that's experienced and been able to fix things like this see's this post. . .thanks in advance!Screenshot_2.jpg

The drone does pick up the gps, but the app controls what is turned in and off in the spark. There will be a way to do it in the app. Did you click on okay after it showed you this? What happened?

Funny photo indeed, it shows you're connected to 13 sat's...

Well, I better understand your issue by now.

For this you dont have to be connected to your drone or RC:
  • Open your DJI Go 4 app
  • In lower right corner it says "ME". Tap it.
  • In next screen there is a cog in the upper right corner. Tap it.
  • Tap Privacy settings.
  • Activate at least Approx loc..., Dji Device Hardware.., Dji Device GPS and Mobil Device GPS
When app was installed (or updated) you was given the option to opt in or out on these..
You prob. opt'd out....like myselves..

Offline maps can be downloaded for your area via the "3 horizontal lines"-button in top right corner on the initial page..
No reason to cache anything..

Funny photo indeed, it shows you're connected to 13 sat's...

Well, I better understand your issue by now.

For this you dont have to be connected to your drone or RC:
  • Open your DJI Go 4 app
  • In lower right corner it says "ME". Tap it.
  • In next screen there is a cog in the upper right corner. Tap it.
  • Tap Privacy settings.
  • Activate at least Approx loc..., Dji Device Hardware.., Dji Device GPS and Mobil Device GPS
When app was installed (or updated) you was given the option to opt in or out on these..
You prob. opt'd out....like myselves..
Hey Haggi! First, I'd like to say how awesome it is to have actual people trying to help figure this out. .THANKS to any respondents! As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. . .here's a screenshot of my Privacy Settings. . everything is already activated except 1 setting.Go4-Privacy-Settings.jpg

Hmmm, strange indeed.

I would recommend one more uninstall/reinstall..
After uninstalling the Go 4 app, delete the folder dji.go.v4 under DJI folder just to get rid of it all.
Then reinstall.

What's your Android version?
If this doesnt fix your issue, you have to install and older version of the app.
Last versions has'nt added anything essential to the Spark.

Many ppl run old 4.1.15 or 4.1.22 (i think) for stability on older devices.
No harm done

Reactions: nyjumpee
Hmmm, strange indeed.

I would recommend one more uninstall/reinstall..
After uninstalling the Go 4 app, delete the folder dji.go.v4 under DJI folder just to get rid of it all.
Then reinstall.

What's your Android version?
If this doesnt fix your issue, you have to install and older version of the app.
Last versions has'nt added anything essential to the Spark.

Many ppl run old 4.1.15 or 4.1.22 (i think) for stability on older devices.
No harm done
Will do Haggi. .won't be for a little while but will post results. .thanks again for your time!

The drone does pick up the gps, but the app controls what is turned in and off in the spark. There will be a way to do it in the app. Did you click on okay after it showed you this? What happened?
Hey Grin ~ I did actually. . .then was presented with my phone settings screen to turn on my location service, which I did. . .then seemed like it was having a hard time getting location lock. ..which, again, never happens unless I'm in an area without any cell service. I'll keep experimenting and post any updates. . thanks for taking the time to try and help!

Will do Haggi. .won't be for a little while but will post results. .thanks again for your time!
Hey Haggi ~ in the mean time I've uploaded my screenshot video of the map in the lower left corner and what it was doing as I TILTED my phone here 2019_02_04_15_39_29_Trim.mp4 . . .very strange. .never saw that before either. . .then there's the RED and BLUE dots which after a brief Google search says one is the location of the phone and one is the controller? Not too concerned about that. . .really mostly why TILTING my phone has any effect on the map whatsoever. .again (I'm beginning to sound like a broken record) have never seen this before. . .

Its probably best to just get rid of the newest GO4 version.. (dont forget to delete the dji.go.v4 folder)
Newer versions is ram-hogs.. and your device is not nitro fuel'd.

Here is a link to older versions: Old GO4 versions at apkmirror
You can choose to install a version you are sure was working on your device, or go for the rock steady 4.1.15 version.

Until you get these issues dead and burried... fingers crossed.

PS: Most of us use an OTG cable between phone and RC nowadays. To minimize lag in video-feed.

Reactions: nyjumpee
Its probably best to just get rid of the newest GO4 version.. (dont forget to delete the dji.go.v4 folder)
Newer versions is ram-hogs.. and your device is not nitro fuel'd.

Here is a link to older versions: Old GO4 versions at apkmirror
You can choose to install a version you are sure was working on your device, or go for the rock steady 4.1.15 version.

Until you get these issues dead and burried... fingers crossed.

PS: Most of us use an OTG cable between phone and RC nowadays. To minimize lag in video-feed.
Hey Haggi! Funny. . .ordered an OTG cable yesterday. . .and fyi I was having issues before upgrading to the latest version. . .tried some things to fix the issues but then just bit the bullet and upgraded cause I figured it couldn't hurt! I'll roll-back to your "rock steady" 4.1.15, delete old DJI folder(s) (have to be careful as I also have DJI app for Phantom 3 on there as well, which I'm sure can't be helping, but again, didn't have these issues a few months back and still had old DJI go app for Phantom on there. . .). Funny. .Note 4 isn't the latest but it sure seems pretty speedy at most other apps I throw at it! And the display quality (OLED 5.7 inch high resolution Quad HD 2560x1440 pixel display with 518 pixels per inch, higher than the current iPhone X at 458 ppi, and some claim 700 nit brightness when in "overdrive" mode) and camera/video still seems to hold it's own. The reason I've stuck with the old Note 4 is that it was the only Note that still had removable back, SD card and Battery until just recently. . and I'm not ready to blow $1000 on a phone! You can find Note 4's on ebay for about $125. . but I digress. . .thanks again so much for your help and look forward to deleting and cleaning up the installation and possibly even resetting the Spark and controller if there's a way to just do a hard reset to get back to square one. .thanks again! :)

I know the feeling, my Note3 was "lightning fast" until I got the Note8..
With 6 GB ram/8 cores, it was mindblowing snappy!

Try 4.1.15 (especially if your device is running older Android version)... and dji.go.v4 folder is safe to delete. Just remember to sync your flight logs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast